Considering a Switch into Rads? Suggestions? Advice?

Started by Trillgirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Trillgirl

Scut Princess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am considering a possible move from my current speciality (Ob - PGY2) to rads. Nothing is written in stone, and it's still not certain there is a position for me. But I am actually considering the jump.

Advise?
Suggestions?
What do you love about it? Hate?
What should I look out for?

Help.... 😳
 
Trillgirl,

I went into radiology because it provides you with the intellectual satisfaction without all the nonsense and non-reimbursable aspects of patient care. Each patient ends up being a juggernaut of paperwork, emotional turmoil, and missed time with friends and family.

I think you should switch to radiology and never look back.

If you really end up missing the patients, you could still do interventional radiology.

Downsides include that you are a consult and depend on referals for business which can require some diplomaitc manuevering. Many of the types who go into medicine needless fear this kind of politicking. It doesn't bother me, though.

Good luck. I sincerely hope you choose radiology.

PS: I saw many expatriates from other fields on the interview trail when I was interviewing for my rads residency.


Banner