Considering an SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoopjmpr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to graduate with a 3.3 GPA in EE with comp. sci, and I haven't yet taken the MCAT, but plan to. I'm hoping to get over a 34, but even if I do I know I will have an uphill battle against me. I have a little research experience, but am trying to get more. My goal is a PhD/MD program in EE and neurology.

I was wondering, have SMP programs actually gotten someone extra interviews? Are they really worth the time investment?

Or would it look better to take a masters in Electrical and just try to get the highest MCAT possible.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

With a 34 MCAT (if you nail it), 3.3 gpa, and strong EC's I'm sure you can get in somewhere if you apply broadly. Also, I'm sure med schools know that not all degrees are created equal. EE would seem to me to be one of the harder ones. If you have the money, take the MCAT and then apply. If you get in, awesome. If not, do a post bacc. That is of course, if you have the money :D

A master's in EE will do nothing to help your med school chances.
Do you know your BCPM gpa?

A good MCAT score will help, but it won't totally offset a slightly below average gpa. A SMP or just more UG classes may be needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm about to graduate with a 3.3 GPA in EE with comp. sci, and I haven't yet taken the MCAT, but plan to. I'm hoping to get over a 34, but even if I do I know I will have an uphill battle against me. I have a little research experience, but am trying to get more. My goal is a PhD/MD program in EE and neurology.

I was wondering, have SMP programs actually gotten someone extra interviews? Are they really worth the time investment?

Or would it look better to take a masters in Electrical and just try to get the highest MCAT possible.

Thank you.

If you have an upward trend, and nail a 34 or higher I really don't think you need an SMP... If you are in the 30 range though, then an SMP could be a great option to help you get accepted.

I wish I could tell you how much of a difference the SMP I am in has made conclusively. Last time I applied to medical school 4 years ago I had no interviews with a 3.1 anda 29 MCAT... Now this cycle I have gotten 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and still waiting to hear from the other 3... But TWO things changed... Got a 38 on the MCAT and am in an SMP right now...

Based on what I can tell my first interview back in october was probably not based on the SMP since no grades were out ( I was accepted too...) The other three, I'd say the SMP had a little to do with all three but not definite...

Anway good luck with your decision, let me know if I can help at all...