Considering applying for post residency MBA

Started by Roseph84
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Roseph84

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in my final year of IM training and have literally struggled through the residency. Many times I thought about quitting but I kept hoping that I would eventually find the area of medicine that I loved. Alas, that eureka moment never happened. In fact, I realized that I really don't like clinical medicine in this country. We are overworked and underpaid for the sacrifices we make and it only seems to be getting worse....which has made me a bit bitter.

In my quest for glory, I have had 2 recurring themes and one of them is to apply for an MBA (the other is repeating residency in a different specialty). The MBA looks like a decent option from many aspects but unfortunately I feel like my point of view has been shaped by some of the success stories I have encountered. If I wanted to go into consulting, would I really need the MBA? I'm sure it would be helpful to have, but I'm just wondering if the 2 additional years of time and tuition would be worth it. It seems many people on this forum got consulting jobs without it. Saying that, I plan on taking my GRE in a few months in preparation to apply.

For the record, I am a US grad from a state med school and am finishing residency at an "ivy" hospital. I really would want to be in NYC and I am hoping I could stand a chance at Columbias or NYUs MBA program.

Given hard work is put into the MBA, what kind of opportunities could I expect afterwards with consulting? I also have an interest in entrepreneurial paths afterwards. Does anyone have experience with this path? I would love to hear your experiences, since this is such a broad area.
 
MBA not necessary. You can easily get into consulting with your MD and residency. Look into McKinsey. Do that for a couple years. It is far better to get non-theoretical experience. You'll also make connections that will lead to future opportunities elsewhere.