considering career change - thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisballs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went unmatched in dermatology after doing everything right and getting double-digit interviews and even receiving very encouraging personal post-match contact. Everyone was surprised and says that I should stick with derm. My pursuit for derm was pretty sweet before the turn of events last week; I got funded trips to Japan and Miami Beach and made some friends along the way.

With that said, I am a free agent starting in 2011, and I don't feel like Lebron James at all. For dermatology I am hanging by a string, and I am considering a career change where I would have considerably more control over my future. I could be very happy doing a lot of different things.

I'd like to hear thoughts from those of you who chose to stick with derm and pursue research fellowships, or thoughts from any of you who decided on a different career. Of course my ultimate decision will not based on anonymous SDNers but this forum has been quite helpful to me during medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry to hear that you didnt match this year. But I dont think you should give up yet. Excellent candidates such as yourself fall through the cracks every year.

Please dont give up, this has happened to a couple upper-levels at my school but they all matched after either a research year or simply re-applying.

i think you should stick with dermatology if that is what you truly want. persistence will pay off if you are qualified. every year people slip through the cracks (while less qualified applicants with connections get in). that is just the way it works, but i believe if you are qualified and work hard you will eventually match.
that being said, if you think you'd be happy doing something else and feel like you wouldn't regret it, it would be a heck of a lot easier to bail on derm and start fresh with something else...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would reapply this year. With that many interviews you should have a good shot at matching for 2012 w/out bolstering your application too much, just work on the interview. Maybe you could slip into a 2011 spot still if you matched into a prelim starting this year. If you didn't match into a prelim, I'd line up a fellowship and still apply this year.

Today I took an anesthesiology position outside the match at a very prestigious program. Slipping through the cracks with 11 interviews in derm was a sign from the man above that maybe another career option was more fitting.

I am so thrilled! This is also good news for most of you on this forum because now there is one less qualified applicant to compete against in next year's match. :rolleyes:

I'm going to be a doctor!

Congrats!! I am so happy to hear that.

Today I took an anesthesiology position outside the match at a very prestigious program. Slipping through the cracks with 11 interviews in derm was a sign from the man above that maybe another career option was more fitting.

I am so thrilled! This is also good news for most of you on this forum because now there is one less qualified applicant to compete against in next year's match. :rolleyes:

I'd just like to say congratulations and to applaud you for the uncommon grace and professionalism with which you handled this life-changing situation. Anesthesia is very lucky to have you, and we have lost valued future colleague.

Good luck and God bless.

Assuming your avatar is of you and your cute baby, whether it would have been Anesthesiology or Dermatology, only you know what's important, esp. as I am sure you want some stability (I'm not talking about financial here) for your family. I know a girl who was in your situation, who also ended up doing Anesthesiology (she got a spot to start after her internship) and she doesn't regret it one bit.

Assuming your avatar is of you and your cute baby, whether it would have been Anesthesiology or Dermatology, only you know what's important, esp. as I am sure you want some stability (I'm not talking about financial here) for your family. I know a girl who was in your situation, who also ended up doing Anesthesiology (she got a spot to start after her internship) and she doesn't regret it one bit.

Tennisballs, your one man wolfpack grew by 1 the day you brought that baby on board. you best anesthetize hard to provide for that little beast. Oh, tell Heather Graham I said hi.

:laugh:

best of luck, tennisballs! my husband really enjoys anesthesiology.

Tennisballs, your one man wolfpack grew by 1 the day you brought that baby on board. you best anesthetize hard to provide for that little beast. Oh, tell Heather Graham I said hi.

For once, sore eye asses' comment actually has something to do with the thread. Yes Tennisballs, I would say with having a baby, which you will enjoy raising such a cute bundle of joy - Anesthesiology - esp. with the great work hours, lifestyle, will allow you to do just that (and if you decide to specialize - Pain Management - even better). You've really got it made, which you'll see soon enough.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For once, sore eye asses' comment actually has something to do with the thread. Yes Tennisballs, I would say with having a baby, which you will enjoy raising such a cute bundle of joy - Anesthesiology - esp. with the great work hours, lifestyle, will allow you to do just that (and if you decide to specialize - Pain Management - even better). You've really got it made, which you'll see soon enough.

they're all related to the thread. you just gotta be perceptive. you gotta believe!!

and i hope you're just being sly, and that this joke didn't go way over your head. it would be acceptable if you lived in, say, afghanistan.

they're all related to the thread. you just gotta be perceptive. you gotta believe!!

and i hope you're just being sly, and that this joke didn't go way over your head. it would be acceptable if you lived in, say, afghanistan.

:laugh: how did this thread get so funny?

it got funny after that comment.
...I wonder if extensive medical training makes you forget universally enjoyed moments in pop culture... or does it make you that much more witty and deadpan so as to be able to trick people like me into thinking you don't know where that avatar comes from?

I believe this started when Dermvisor apparently (not sure, it's the internet after all) did not recognize the hangover avatar and Soreyeasses poked fun at them for not knowing (in an indirect manner).

Heck, why tell someone flat out that they're being clueless when you can spice it up and make people do some math?

I like making people do math! At gunpoint!

What's 2+2 mother F'er!!!

What's 2+2!!

So help me god, what's 2+2!! If you don't tell me, I'll blow your F'ing head off!!

(overheard when i visited a 3rd grade classroom recently to "share" about the majesty of a career in dermatology. needless to say, i got a bit sidetracked.)

congrats going to into GAS, but how did you end up there? Derm and GAS are vastly different fields and with the things they treat. Are you sure you did the right thing?

I've been waiting to place this post for a VERY long time....

I applied for dermatology residency and didn't match despite the fact I knew I was a good candidate (excellent board score, substantial research, top-tier medical school). Therefore, I did internal medicine residency (currently starting a PGY-3 year) and last week just matched to a very prestigious heme/onc fellowship on the East Coast. It re-affirms to me that you can be an amazing dermatology candidate, but just not match because it is such a competitive field. If dermatology is what you want to do and you didn't match the first time around, I don't discourage anyone from reapplying. However, I will tell you that (especially if you are interested in skin cancer), oncology is a wonderful and increasingly competitive field, and I couldn't be happier.

Good things do come to those who wait....

I've been waiting to place this post for a VERY long time....

I applied for dermatology residency and didn't match despite the fact I knew I was a good candidate (excellent board score, substantial research, top-tier medical school). Therefore, I did internal medicine residency (currently starting a PGY-3 year) and last week just matched to a very prestigious heme/onc fellowship on the East Coast. It re-affirms to me that you can be an amazing dermatology candidate, but just not match because it is such a competitive field. If dermatology is what you want to do and you didn't match the first time around, I don't discourage anyone from reapplying. However, I will tell you that (especially if you are interested in skin cancer), oncology is a wonderful and increasingly competitive field, and I couldn't be happier.

Good things do come to those who wait....

Congratulations! I'm a big believer in the fact that things work out the way that they are supposed to, and I really hope that you are very happy in Heme/Onc! It's a special field and it takes an extraordinary person to dedicate their life's work to it. Good luck and God Bless!

congrats going to into GAS, but how did you end up there? Derm and GAS are vastly different fields and with the things they treat. Are you sure you did the right thing?

This is the first time I've revisited this thread since March.

Let's say dermatology = Kristin Cavallari, and anesthesia = Whitney Port. I spent a great deal of time chasing Kristin around and she lead me on and made me feel marginally good, but ultimately she treated me like crap and had selfish intentions. Then Whitney came along and blew me away. She was exponentially more interested and easier to deal with than Kristin.

Who would you pick? Some would still chase Kristin around, and more power to 'em. Sore eye, I'll let you continue this thought.

Here's another analogy for those of you who like food

I like pizza, but I also like sushi.

Both are very different foods, but you can like both equally, right?

Same with dermatology and anesthesia. Very different, but you can like both.

Let's say pizza = derm, sushi = anesthesia, and someone said, you can either have this delicious sushi right now, or you have wait for 2-3 years to get the pizza, and you might not get the pizza, and if you don't, then you have no chance of getting the sushi, and in that case, you would have neither the pizza nor the sushi. Sheesh!

Last edited:
I'd pick my right hand, and then when I got bored of that ho, I'd pick my left.

Here's another analogy for those of you who like food

I like pizza, but I also like sushi.

Both are very different foods, but you can like both equally, right?

Same with dermatology and anesthesia. Very different, but you can like both.

Let's say pizza = derm, sushi = anesthesia, and someone said, you can either have this delicious sushi right now, or you have wait for 2-3 years to get the pizza, and you might not get the pizza, and if you don't, then you have no chance of getting the sushi, and in that case, you would have neither the pizza nor the sushi. Sheesh!

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with this pizza/sushi analogy :))

It's not that they are from 2 different world cuisines, but that their place in those cuisines are very different. Pizza is fast food/cheap food whereas sushi is more refined/expensive. Now if you were to compare pizza with ramen noodles or such, and say you liked them equally, I would understand that. :)

p.s. I love ALL food. But they are not equal. But that doesn't mean I like one less. Just has a different place.

p.p.s. I didn't recognise that film Avatar either. Duh!

hello everybody, this is such a positive group... you all should try the cardiology board for some real action.

in any case, i was wondering what you thought of someone completing internal medicine residency going into derm...?

i never thought i'd be interested prior to having a baby (10 months now) and getting sick of code situations. now i actually have a huge interest in skin conditions and procedures and immediate gratification! as much as i love controlling diabetes and hypertension, the results are so illusive. gosh, what a disaster situation changing careers...

alternatively, i could work really really really hard (not a pleasant thought) and try to match into a medcine subspecialty, but none are as "sweet" as dermatology.

say i were interested in dermatology, what steps would i take as a pgy-3 to pursue that goal?

open to all comments...

Last edited:
hello everybody, this is such a positive group... you all should try the cardiology board for some real action.

in any case, i was wondering what you thought of someone completing internal medicine residency going into derm...?

i never thought i'd be interested prior to having a baby (10 months now) and getting sick of code situations. now i actually have a huge interest in skin conditions and procedures and immediate gratification! as much as i love controlling diabetes and hypertension, the results are so illusive. gosh, what a disaster situation changing careers...

alternatively, i could work really really really hard (not a pleasant thought) and try to match into a medcine subspecialty, but none are as "sweet" as dermatology.

say i were interested in dermatology, what steps would i take as a pgy-3 to pursue that goal?

open to all comments...

Dermatology is filled with chronic conditions. If you want instant gratification then make sure to stay far away from atopic infants, teenagers with warts, middle aged persons with psoriasis, and elderly patients with AKs (just to name a few most commons).

As far as what to do to switch, I'd personally start by speaking with the Dermatology program where you are training at right now. You will probably have to work really hard to get into Dermatology, perhaps more so than a medicine subspecialty.

So you're suddenly interested in skin and procedures after having a baby and getting sick of codes?

I'm honestly not trying to be rude here, but you'll probably have to change your 'story'. As it stands, people can easily interpret your motives as "sick of medicine...perused other fields...chose one based on good lifestyle".

learn to give a good hj.

every pd got a solid hj from me before the interview day was up.

it's a nice, unexpected touch, that really makes for a memorable interview.

plus, the hj is a clandestine art, and most pds are thoroughly impressed at your ambition for having learned and perfected this ancient and secret technique.

it will speak highly of your work ethic and ingenuity.