Should the Step 1 pass/fail change affect my decision to pursue a research year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drewbins

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I wanted some advice regarding whether or not to pursue a research year.

A bit of background: matriculated in 2018, mid-tier state school, 3 small derm related publications, all passes in pre-clinicals (P/F), with 1 honors and 2 high passes so far in my clerkships (H/HP/P). I just recently received my step 1 score and was able to get in the 260's. When I started school I planned on pursuing a research year prior to applying in order to bolster my publication record. However with the announcement of step 1 changing to pass/fail at the earliest of Jan 2022 I'm not sure how this will affect my chances at matching.

I assume that step 1 scores will be masked in the 2022-2023 cycle given the mix of students who would have 3 digit score applying with those with P/F. I am slightly worried that unless I receive AOA and have stellar clerkship grades/comments there will be a good chance of failing to match if I applied in fall 2022 vs 2021 with my cohort.

Would it be better to apply in fall 2021 even if the number of publications might be on the low side or to apply with a research year even if it means my step 1 score might be masked to reviewers.

Members don't see this ad.