Considering D.O. vs M.D.-Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderCole

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To Whomever Can Answer:
My name is Cole. I am 22, and in graduate school. I have been pursuing an exit to the labrinyth known as medical school admissions. A few schools were nice (FEW), and the rest said everything short of McDonald's is hiring. I am not good at tests at all, and I know it has hurt me. I have taken the MCAT 3 times (stop laughing) and the highest I have gotten is a 22 (two 7s, one 8, and a S). I am not sure if I should try and take a Kaplan course and try one last time. I want to be an MD and not necessarily an RN. I realize that the embarrassment will grow, but it is a chance I am willing to take. I have years of volunteer experience in hospitals (10), I have counseled drug addicts and runaways, have worked on 2 research studies, and I am working on a MS. It seems like the damn MCAT keeps deflating my tires.
If anyone can give me advice without hinting "Do you want fries with that?", I would really appreciate it.
If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have not taken a prep class for the MCAT you should. Then retake the test one last time and hope for a modest improvement. With your current scores I would think you would need a minimum undergrad and grad GPA of >3.5 to seriously be considered for interviews at any medical school(MD or DO). What is the condition of your GPA? If you have previously applied to medical schools and left osteopathic medical schools off your list and are now applying to them because you have had trouble gaining admission, you MIGHT run into problems both getting interviews and surviving them. But if you have decent reasons for applying and the rest of your application is strong, you should be able to pick up a interview or two. Just my two cents.

Let me clarify. First of all, I am not just applying to DO school because I think I can't get into allopathic schools. I am not that desperate or shallow. Second of all, I have a 3.4 undergrad, and a 3.55 GPA. I can't really take a prep course due to conflicts in my schedule with my courses. I left DO school out of the list, becuase I really didn't know about them. Now, that I have shadowed a DO for the last year and a half, I think I might enjoy being one.
Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for not being shallow minded in your decision to apply to DO schools, as if youre disputing an assertion that DO applicants are shallow. Im sure DO schools will take that into consideration.

In all truthfulness, your MCAT is rather low but people have gotten in with less. Your GPA is borderline for MD but competitive for DO. I think you need to apply; forget about retaking the MCAT, and just go on your gpa and your health related experience. Good luck.

Hrmmm...

Oddly you received a 22 but an "S" on the writing. The "S" shows me that you are capable of putting your thoughts down on paper.

Anyway, A 22 is pretty low, but your break down is decent. 8,7,7 is definitely not the worst score I've ever seen.

Apply to your state D.O. schools and any and all private out of state D.O. schools. Your GPA, and Master's Level work is commendable. If you can afford the applications, you've got nothing to lose by trying.

I had a 23 MCAT, and a much lower GPA. 3.1, and I was rejected by every school I applied to. This application cycle I have a 27MCAT and a better GPA. We'll see how it goes.

W.

to wishuponastar,

where did u apply? did u receive any interview?

also, did u apply to both MD and DO?

I would look into Kaplan or Princeton if you can afford it. I took Kaplan and went from a 23 to 30. My knowledge base did not increase, just my test skills and confidence. If you invest the money, go to class and take advantage of all the practice exams.

Your scores are on the low side for either program but admissions looks for improvement. Be ready to explain why you took the MCAT so many times.

Good Luck

If you REALLY want to be a doctor, consider the Caribbean schools. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you might spend a few years getting in here in the states, when you could be about finished in the caribbean. That option might not be as viable in a few years,(can't get back to the states) so check it out now.

Otherwise, just keep applying, and take a review course for the love of pete, don't make excuses, find a way to take one and prove you can do well on the MCAT.

I hope you do get in soon,

good luck