Considering DO, October too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dirtybird

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background:

I've applied to 30ish MD schools this past cycle, everything sent in by early July.

Allopathic reapplicant that applied a bit late in 2015-2016 and had 0 II's.

Have 1 II so far this cycle.

35 MCAT, 3.55 sGPA, top 10 university. 3 gap years now, above avg and unique EC's, good LoR's, strong research experience (5000+ hr). No LoR from DO.

My biggest obstacle: 1 year suspension for behavior/alcohol related issue during my sophomore year, 5 years ago. Time away spent meaningfully to own up to it, grow up, etc. Big turning point in my life, all of my greatest accomplishments came afterwards. No question that it's still a red flag though.

My questions:

At the moment, I'm thinking about applying to DO's in October if I don't get accepted at the school I'm interviewing at. Would this be too late/disadvantageous?

Costs of applying? I'm looking to apply to maybe 3-4 DO schools: PCOM, TUCOM NY + CA, MSUCOM. Any other suggestions welcome!

Research? Wanted to continue doing research if possible, was wondering if any campuses had good opportunities.

Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your question: applying DO in Octorber is fairly on time, but won't be considered early. At this time, I think most DO school filled about 1/3 of their classes, so you still have some opportunity to apply. But I suggested put the application down now if you have everything ready, since its will take a while for school to process your primary, if not, secondary. Just my 0.02c

Cost is about $200 for 4 school I think. Maybe more since $80 a school.
For research, I think most school have some kind of research, it depends on what school you are looking for. I think PCOM does have research, and MSUCOM as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm really surprised that a suspension related to alcohol 5 years would hold you back from getting into an MD school with those stats. It feels like something is missing here.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question: applying DO in Octorber is fairly on time, but won't be considered early. At this time, I think most DO school filled about 1/3 of their classes, so you still have some opportunity to apply. But I suggested put the application down now if you have everything ready, since its will take a while for school to process your primary, if not, secondary. Just my 0.02c

Cost is about $200 for 4 school I think. Maybe more since $80 a school.
For research, I think most school have some kind of research, it depends on what school you are looking for. I think PCOM does have research, and MSUCOM as well.

1/3 filled in August or in October?

I've noticed certain DO schools say they'll accept a LOR from either a DO or an MD. Would it reflect less positively on me if I applied to DO programs without shadowing a DO or getting a LOR from a DO? I have shadowing experiences and a LOR from an MD only.