Considering EP fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardsfell

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a second year cardiology fellow trying to decide whether to sub-specialize. I really liked both advanced heart failure and EP. At this point, I feel more drawn to EP, which I conceptually find very interesting but have not had too much experience actually scrubbing into procedures, although have watched some during EP rotations. I love EKG's and EP concepts, problem solving, and procedures but my main concerns are about the potential physical stress of long procedures (back issues) and also being a female in the field (hoping to get pregnant in the next few years). I definitely want work-life balance which seems pretty decent in EP from what I can tell.

Would appreciate any insight in these issues, and in particular if any female EP's out there, would love to hear your perspective. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend messaging female EPs on Twitter, my guess is they'll be happy to talk to an aspiring female about these things. The big question is whether you want to be a proceduralist or a clinician, because the day to day of both fields look completely different. Best of luck!

Will fluoroscopy cause mutations during pregnancy? Can't be good even while wearing lead
If wore properly it blocks >95% of radiation. A lot of the EP procedures are fluoroless or nearly no fluoro. Ablations use it in the beginning of the case then off lead for the majority of the case. Devices may use a little more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what pregnancy issues you're concerned about, exposure, time off, etc., but I've know a few in IC or EP folks who've gotten pregnant, either as fellows or attendings, and with a supportive program/employer they just figured it out. The back issue I'd be more concerned about. EP procedures can be long. Over time that can wear on you. I already have young, healthy friends complaining about body aches from being in the OR/lab. Certainly have good disability insurance. Nevertheless HF and EP are completely different. Job options are a consideration as well.

Hi, I'm a second year cardiology fellow trying to decide whether to sub-specialize. I really liked both advanced heart failure and EP. At this point, I feel more drawn to EP, which I conceptually find very interesting but have not had too much experience actually scrubbing into procedures, although have watched some during EP rotations. I love EKG's and EP concepts, problem solving, and procedures but my main concerns are about the potential physical stress of long procedures (back issues) and also being a female in the field (hoping to get pregnant in the next few years). I definitely want work-life balance which seems pretty decent in EP from what I can tell.

Would appreciate any insight in these issues, and in particular if any female EP's out there, would love to hear your perspective. Thanks!

There is an EP on Instagram who is open to talking to physicians interested in the field from what I have heard.
I believe her name is Dr. Hafiza Khan.

I too am a First year fellow considering EP. Just wanted to figure out what the best way to set myself for a strong match would be. Currently just focussing on being a good general fellow but I guess its never too early to think ahead..

I too am a First year fellow considering EP. Just wanted to figure out what the best way to set myself for a strong match would be. Currently just focussing on being a good general fellow but I guess its never too early to think ahead..
Similar to getting into cardiology fellowship; being a good gen cards fellow, doing EP research, and getting to know the EP faculty.

My concern is, I'm at a program which has an EP fellowship however they don't do a lot of complex ablations or VT ablations nor is it a high volume center. It's a solid fellowship but I feel I can potentially match elsewhere and would like to move close to family after my general fellowship. How should I go about letting my EP PD know that I'm not going to pick my home program? Would that affect my letters? Moreover, the program is geared such that 3rd is pretty much all electives and if I'm not going to stay would I be given the cold shoulder in case I want to get some hands on time in the lab?
Maybe I'm overthinking but in general I've learned not to hurt any egos of older/established attendings

Why do you need to tell them this early? Get to know the faculty, they can write you letters and you can go see what other programs are out there during interviews. Until you interview you don't really know where you want to go. If you do end up telling them there is no way that you'll stay hopefully they'll be supportive. My program made it clear that they would support me wherever I wanted to go, but I ended up staying anyway.

Why do you need to tell them this early? Get to know the faculty, they can write you letters and you can go see what other programs are out there during interviews. Until you interview you don't really know where you want to go. If you do end up telling them there is no way that you'll stay hopefully they'll be supportive. My program made it clear that they would support me wherever I wanted to go, but I ended up staying anyway.
I don't have to let them know either way. I've been letting faculty know I want to do EP and have been talking to them about research.

Reactions: 1 user