Considering going back for PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

business2pt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on going back to school for physical therapy. I graduated in 2006 with a degree in business and have since worked in an office doing marketing research/consulting. I'm really not happy for a variety of reasons and besides looking for a new job I have begun considering going back to school for PT. I've gotten some advice from a friend who is currently in med school and has some friends in PT programs about pre-reqs and what I'd have to do to be admitted, but I would love to hear some advice from anyone who also went the non-traditional route in this field. Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, Business . . . I would first get into the clinic to start on your volunteer hours and to see if this is something you really want to do. Just out of curiousity, why do you think you would want to become a PT?

There are a bunch of reasons I think I would enjoy it, but I think there are a couple main ones. The first is that I've been at my job for almost two years now and I'm tired of working long hours on something that I honestly don't care all that much about (picture Peter's speech if Office Space about why he isn't motivated). I especially hate being stuck in front of a computer all day.

The second, and somewhat related to the first point, is that I believe I would get a lot of personal satisfaction out of it. I was an athlete all through high school and college and was very injury plagued. I would love it if I was able to help people get back to being able to do what they love without pain. I realize not all physical therapists work in athletic-related practices, but helping people in general would be a huge motivator.

There are some other reasons I'm interested in it, but the major factor is the amount of happiness I think I would get out of it. I get paid pretty well for my current job, but 5 out of 7 days of the week I'm pretty miserable which just isn't worth it in my mind. No matter what I do next will have to do with something I am interested in and that I believe will help people in some way, so I think PT definitely lines up with that.

Thanks for the reply. If I decide to go this route, finding a clinic to volunteer in will definitely be one of the first things I do.