General Considering Leaving Graduate Certificate Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a graduate certificate program. Due to the sudden close death of a parent I have not been doing well lately. I'm wondering if this program is even worth it? Am I better off withdrawing from the program and just applying to a masters program when I am in a better headspace? I don't want to hurt my chances of med school. I'm also questioning if a graduate certificate program is even worth it.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently enrolled in a graduate certificate program. Due to the sudden close death of a parent I have not been doing well lately. I'm wondering if this program is even worth it? Am I better off withdrawing from the program and just applying to a master's program when I am in a better headspace? I don't want to hurt my chances of med school. I'm also questioning if a graduate certificate program is even worth it.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Very sorry to hear of this terrible news. I can empathize, as my mom died while I was in grad school.

You should talk to your programs director and ask about a LOA. Go take time to heal and grieve, and come back stronger.

Are you in this program to reinvent your GPAs? If so, an SMP is higher risk, but higher reward.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I concur. Sorry about your family situation. Check your student handbook and program director about a LOA and impact on completion. We don't know how far along you are in completing your program, but i would finish what you started if you originally thought it was worth your effort to enroll.

Seek counseling support as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely should at least go on an LOA if you’re not doing well.

Would need more information to assess whether the program is worth it. Is it an SMP, or something else? In general a certificate that isn’t an SMP probably doesn’t help you for med school

Status
Not open for further replies.