Considering Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreatDeku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm extremely indecisive but I've been considering med school for the past year or two. I live in central NJ, so my first schools of choice would be either RWJMS or NJMS.

Welp, here it goes:

3.82c GPA. Science GPA is around a 3.75. (This is probably going to go down after this semester to upper 3.7's, still waiting on grades. Though maybe I'm just being pessimistic)
Was a writing tutor in the Fall
Did a library-based research project in the Spring
Will be doing lab work for said research project and graduating with a Biochem and Molecular Bio degree in July.
Worked every other weekend at a local convenience store.
Still need to take the MCAT. I'm shooting for late August/early September.

My (tentative) plan after I take the MCAT:
-Shadowing an MD, preferably a neurologist.
-Working as a lab tech, probably in something industry based rather than research based. I have connections so securing a job won't be difficult.

I think I can probably obtain ~30 on the MCAT, so I'm not too worried about that. My main concern is I feel my extracurricular is too weak. I may consider a DO school, but NJMS/RWJMS (Which I think are concerned low tier MD) are my primary goal. I may consider delaying my application till next year if necessary to build my EC a bit more, but I would prefer to not to.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These two things do not add up...:confused:

:confused: UMDNJ is an osteopathic school.

Technically this is not correct.

UMDNJ included 3 medical schools... New Jersey Medical School, Robert Wood Johnson, and the osteopathic school. All are in different cities in New Jersey. The two allopathic med schools will become a part of Rutgers University, while the latter osteopathic med school will become a part of Rowan University.

Interesting enough. That would mean that Rowan University would have 2 medical schools within 2 years... The new Cooper Medical school and now the UMNJD's former osteopathic school.

Members don't see this ad :)
GreatDeku,

The hardest part for people who decide "late in the game" (not sure if this applies to you or not) that they want to go to med school is often the GPA and you are okay there. I think your first step is to do some shadowing to see if you are really interested. If you are then I would say continue to shadow and prep for the MCAT. Do well on that and keep going from there!

Survivor DO