WAMC/School list - 3.99/523 - Considering a gap year

Started by punch21
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

punch21

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Screenshot 2026-03-15 at 11.07.44 PM.png


FL Resident, ORM
GPA: 3.99 (Biochemistry at good state school), MCAT: 523 (131/128/132/132)
Junior in college

Research:
1300+ hours at a neuroscience lab for 2 yrs — 1 mid-author mid/low-tier pub, 8 posters but 3 1st-author; mix of regional/national confs. 2nd author paper in progress
150 hrs in a school org where i lead a small team of undergrads doing clinical research and work w/ 2 doctors, no pubs/posters yet.
50 hrs in iGEM (team won medal at Jamboree)
480 hrs projected this summer in a neuroscience lab in Europe

Clinical:
~350-400 hours as an EMT when I apply
50 hours of shadowing

Non-clinical:
120-140 hrs habitat for humanity when I apply, am also on exec for the school club
60 hrs as an orgo 2 TA, led exam review sessions in a lecture hall
6 week study abroad, coauthored a lit review about intersection of mental & heart health for an established nonprofit (not published in a journal)

Would it be worth it to take a gap year to improve my research output (expected 1-2 pubs + a review, including possibly a 1st-author for my clinical research) and volunteer/clinical hours? I would love to go T20 if possible. For the school list, I'm thinking if I apply now I'd just want to go for schools that I'd really be happy with, and reapply if need be (hence the very top heavy list). Thoughts?

Thanks!!
 
Last edited:
When did you take your MCAT? What are your subscores?

You need 100+ more service orientation hours (Habitat for Humanity) to be minimally on par with applicants to brand-name schools, which you seem to desire. I lack insight what your purpose is as a physician; you seem to be happy with a stellar neuroscience research record, so PhD seems to make the most sense. Why MD or MD/PhD? If you want the MD, I think you may need more clinical hours (at least 250 keep up with your applicant peers in the high-metrics pool).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When did you take your MCAT? What are your subscores?

You need 100+ more service orientation hours (Habitat for Humanity) to be minimally on par with applicants to brand-name schools, which you seem to desire. I lack insight what your purpose is as a physician; you seem to be happy with a stellar neuroscience research record, so PhD seems to make the most sense. Why MD or MD/PhD? If you want the MD, I think you may need more clinical hours (at least 250 keep up with your applicant peers in the high-metrics pool).
I just took it in January - subscores 131/128/132/132. is 400 hours not enough to convey why MD? did you mean 250 more, so 600+?
Also, am I able to combine the hours for both volunteering and leadership in the club in one entry?
Thank you for the advice!
 
I just took it in January - subscores 131/128/132/132. is 400 hours not enough to convey why MD? did you mean 250 more, so 600+?
Also, am I able to combine the hours for both volunteering and leadership in the club in one entry?
Thank you for the advice!
It's not just the hours; the diversity and quality of experiences matter too. I'm only working with your descriptions.

I would like to see more traditional exposure in hospital and outpatient settings. It's not only the ER.

Teaching is a different category. I don't know where your hours of leadership and volunteering are, but I suggest combining the activity and labeling as leadership. As a high-metrics candidate, you need 250 hours of Habitat to be on par with other high-metrics applicants (you may need more). The more hours where you directly help others in need the better, as opposed to other leadership responsibilities including fundraising and team management.

TLDR, IMO: You do not need more research hours. You need more non-clinical service orientation and should continue to have diverse clinical experiences. iGEM is a "hobby"/competition, not research.
 
Last edited:
I'd just go for it this year and apply to all the FL schools. If you can get 75-100H in another clinical setting it would help you understand medicine better from your patients' viewpoint. I'd bump those hours if I could but Mr Smile is right on for the habitat for humanity. You probably need 100 more hours to be competitive at the "best" schools. You've already got research down. No need to delay applying on that front.