Considering Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwc1397

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in a very difficult/weird situation. When I started college I was a biology major with plans on going to medical school. But when I got to college I had some personal issues arise and my GPA tanked. I ended up changing my major to Business Administration and have worked to try and bring my GPA back up. I've worked 45+ hours a week to support myself and I am now a junior with a 2.75 GPA. I've dropped 4 classes throughout college. But I've always wanted to be a doctor and still don't think an office career is meant for me. Lately I've been thinking about giving pre-med another try. But is there ANY shot of me getting into medical school? Even if I aced every course left, did research, and maybe something post-graduate, is there any chance that I could still get into medical school? I still would like to give it a shot so that I could have a career that I've always dreamed of. But I know dreams also come with realities and want some advice on it.

Thank you guys for any advice you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, welcome to the forums!

A starting point is this table:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf

And there are a bunch of other ones on the AAMC site. This will give you an idea of your rough chances based on certain stats.

Before we can be of much service, we'd want to know what you think your cumulative GPA and science/math GPA could be by the end of your college career.

A 2.75 is a pretty low GPA for med schools, as you can see on the above link. You'll need to pull it up as much as you can.

Remember, there's no rush. So if you need to work a lot to support yourself as you go through school, I'd slow down on classes to make sure you can get really high marks. Your science/math GPA will be very important when it comes time to applying, as will the MCAT.

Cheers!