Considering medschool, need advice

Started by 281474
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

2

281474

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm happy I found this little forum and am hoping someone can help me. I am thinking about a path in the medical field. However, I am in a bit of a bind.

I'm 25, going on 26 -- I entered college when I was 17 and have been working a full-time job more or less the entire time. For most of that time, I couldn't decide what I wanted to do, so I decided to focus on advancement in work.

I majored in Philosophy but the lack of attention to school has resulted in less than stellar grades. I'm at 78 hours, with a GPA of 2.6. I can retake some classes, but I understand the AMCAS averages all classes, so this seems pointless to me. I think I would be better off taking whole new classes.

I have nearly completed all the main requirements for my Philosophy degree. All that remains are Core requirements that I skipped -- mostly 1000 and 2000 level courses.

My immediate dillemna is whether I should even bother to take these classes. I can CLEP these classes. Regardless of whether I take these classes or CLEP them, I must pick up a second degree in Biology before graduation and this represents alone 45-50 additional hours.

Running the numbers, assuming all As, I can score about a 3.2 overall GPA with the CLEPs, though my "other" GPA will be 2.6. Again, this assumes straight As in a new Biology degree, also resulting in a 4.0 BCPM.

If I instead take the classes instead of CLEPing them, I could have an Overall nearer to 3.4 and an Other nearer to 3.0. This looks a little nicer, I suppose, but is it? 2.6, 3.2 an 3.4 all seem pathetic to me. I am hoping that a high MCAT, combined with a 4.0 BCPM will show that my past performance is not an indicator of my ability.

All of this looks rather dismal to me.

My questions are these:

1. Should I CLEP these lower-division classes or take them? Achieving As in lower-division classes doesn't seem that spectacular to me.
2. Should I retake my 4 Ds? By my calculations, this doesn't seem to offer a significant boost in GPA to waste the time and money.
3. What recommendations can anyone offer me on improving my prospects?

Thank you!