Considering neurology without great stats/cv

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sad_DO_Student

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
M3 at a DO school. Was pretty set on IM but did a neuro rotation and surprisingly ended up loving it. I'm seriously considering switching over last minute now, or at least dual applying if I really can't decide. Problem is my stats are pretty mediocre. I got a 220 on step 1 and an embarrassing 491 on level 1. I'm working hard on doing better on step 2/level 2, but I don't have those yet and I'm not exactly sure if they would make any difference. I haven't thought of neuro much until this rotation so I have nothing on my CV related to it either. I'm hesitant to switch since I feel like my app is super weak and tailored to some other specialty. wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Appreciate the help!
 
Also, advice I received in the beginning of the cycle
 
M3 at a DO school. Was pretty set on IM but did a neuro rotation and surprisingly ended up loving it. I'm seriously considering switching over last minute now, or at least dual applying if I really can't decide. Problem is my stats are pretty mediocre. I got a 220 on step 1 and an embarrassing 491 on level 1. I'm working hard on doing better on step 2/level 2, but I don't have those yet and I'm not exactly sure if they would make any difference. I haven't thought of neuro much until this rotation so I have nothing on my CV related to it either. I'm hesitant to switch since I feel like my app is super weak and tailored to some other specialty. wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Appreciate the help!
Apply broadly, do 2 aways at places realistic for you to match that you think you'd like to be at, do the best you can on step 2, and you'll probably be fine. Neuro and IM are very similar in competitiveness across low-mid-high tier locations.