considering pt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auguy13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a recent microbio grad (solid gpa) from my state university. I have been accepted to medical school, but decided to take a year off due to second thoughts/burnout etc. I realized I have been pushing myself in that direction and wonder if my heart lies in it. So I am taking a step back and taking a year in the "real world" before taking out the enormous debt that is a medical education (of any sort).. In the meantime I plan to work some menial job, take the gre, and explore other healthcare options (better late than never?). I recently had a sports related injury and did a round of pt (which I seriously enjoyed and it was a tremendous help). It was basically medically related working out - combining my two interests :). The lifestyle seems great and the pay seems adequate (maybe not to a physician's salary but money can't buy happiness). The patient bond seemed incredible. I like geriatrics, athletes, and the disabled (I volunteer at a summer camp for the physically handicap). I was just wondering if any of you had any advice (other than shadowing a pt which I plan to do). I already have all the pre-reqs minus one or two psych classes which would be easy to obtain. I guess I don't really have much of an idea of the science behind therapy is my main question. Do you have to particularly like physics to enjoy therapy, as I am more of a bio-systems kind of guy. I dreaded physics, but made A's. I have not taken any exercise science or kinesiology courses (but they aren't required for the programs I have researched).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have to particularly like physics to enjoy therapy, as I am more of a bio-systems kind of guy. I dreaded physics, but made A's. I have not taken any exercise science or kinesiology courses (but they aren't required for the programs I have researched).

Thanks!

First of all, there is a ton of advice on this forum. You just need to take the time to look.

No you don't need to like Physics. I don't know anybody in my class who likes Physics. Even your Biomechanics class will not require you to know too much about physics. You don't need to calculate force in PT school. You're right, Exercise Science and Kinesiology are not pre-requisites anywhere. Take Physics I and II, and do well. Take the time to learn about torque, vectors, and forces.

Kevin

Hey all,

I am a recent microbio grad (solid gpa) from my state university. I have been accepted to medical school, but decided to take a year off due to second thoughts/burnout etc. I realized I have been pushing myself in that direction and wonder if my heart lies in it. So I am taking a step back and taking a year in the "real world" before taking out the enormous debt that is a medical education (of any sort).. In the meantime I plan to work some menial job, take the gre, and explore other healthcare options (better late than never?). I recently had a sports related injury and did a round of pt (which I seriously enjoyed and it was a tremendous help). It was basically medically related working out - combining my two interests :). The lifestyle seems great and the pay seems adequate (maybe not to a physician's salary but money can't buy happiness). The patient bond seemed incredible. I like geriatrics, athletes, and the disabled (I volunteer at a summer camp for the physically handicap). I was just wondering if any of you had any advice (other than shadowing a pt which I plan to do). I already have all the pre-reqs minus one or two psych classes which would be easy to obtain. I guess I don't really have much of an idea of the science behind therapy is my main question. Do you have to particularly like physics to enjoy therapy, as I am more of a bio-systems kind of guy. I dreaded physics, but made A's. I have not taken any exercise science or kinesiology courses (but they aren't required for the programs I have researched).

Thanks!

Nah, you don't have to like physics, but having a solid understanding of mechanics portion of physics will go a long way and make you a better student and later on therapist. Depending on your program, you may need to know some of the thermodynamics and electromagnetism portion or physics well, e.g. light, electricity stuff (no circuits or anything like that), etc. And for my program, we had to calculate forces, torque, I/E-MAs, and that wonderful stuff.

All this will hopefully translate into biomechanics and kinesiology of joints and the human body overall, and give you a better understanding of the different joint mechanics and figuring out the best way to provide a treatment. I guess my professors just make sure we keep up with the titles of "biomechanic kings and queens" of the health care community.