Considering Reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lodgecountry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied for medical schools in my senior year of college - no interviews received and I had a poor MCAT score (28 on the old exam). The following year I started working in a clinical laboratory and retook the new MCAT (509 total - high scores on the three sciences/brought down with a 124 on the CARS). After some evaluation I decided I liked the route of Physician Assistant programs better for my personal life. Unfortunately, I applied, had two interviews, and no acceptances - likely due to the fact that I have very little direct patient care hours.

I am not in a financial position in which I could leave my laboratory job - and in my location I have had trouble finding an additional part-time job for patient care hours. Because of this, I am strongly considering if I should switch back to reapply for medical school instead of PA programs. I am dying to get back into a classroom, so I need to make the right decision for the next application cycle coming up this spring. I have a lower GPA - 3.6 overall and 3.5 science. Since college, I have taken a phlebotomy training program - which would show a positive trend in grade (all A's) but it was just a brief program with basic courses.

Basically, I was hoping for some advice if I decided to pursue the medical school route. I've been trying to research what college grads do to prepare for applications. Should I work on taking other courses to boost my GPA? I know I'd need more physician shadowing. And if I do not need to get another job for patient care hours I was looking at getting back into some volunteer work. Is it important for me to have some type of work in a healthcare facility - like scribing or something? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So I applied for medical schools in my senior year of college - no interviews received and I had a poor MCAT score (28 on the old exam). The following year I started working in a clinical laboratory and retook the new MCAT (509 total - high scores on the three sciences/brought down with a 124 on the CARS). After some evaluation I decided I liked the route of Physician Assistant programs better for my personal life. Unfortunately, I applied, had two interviews, and no acceptances - likely due to the fact that I have very little direct patient care hours.

I am not in a financial position in which I could leave my laboratory job - and in my location I have had trouble finding an additional part-time job for patient care hours. Because of this, I am strongly considering if I should switch back to reapply for medical school instead of PA programs. I am dying to get back into a classroom, so I need to make the right decision for the next application cycle coming up this spring. I have a lower GPA - 3.6 overall and 3.5 science. Since college, I have taken a phlebotomy training program - which would show a positive trend in grade (all A's) but it was just a brief program with basic courses.

Basically, I was hoping for some advice if I decided to pursue the medical school route. I've been trying to research what college grads do to prepare for applications. Should I work on taking other courses to boost my GPA? I know I'd need more physician shadowing. And if I do not need to get another job for patient care hours I was looking at getting back into some volunteer work. Is it important for me to have some type of work in a healthcare facility - like scribing or something? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Your stats are competitive for DO schools. Spend the next year getting more shadowing and clinical experience. Doesn't have to be paid. Start with volunteering in a hospice center or something, and try and get a phlebotomy job. Both will be seen as healthcare experience, and phlebotomy will be direct patient care. Craft a nice DO school list for next cycle and I am sure you will get plenty of interviews with a 3.6/509.

Read this book:

Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition
by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624