Considering reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IUdocwolverine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm currently waitlisted at two schools. However, I understand that I should prepare to reapply just in case I don't hear back from them.

Here are my stats:

undergrad cGPA: 3.4 sGPA 3.25
Grad GPA (30 credit hours): 3.85
MCAT: 32R
Good LORs

I have volunteered abroad, and volunteered heavily with a school club
I was also vice president of said club for 2 years
I researched for 3 years, all three summers full time, and published 2 papers
One of these papers I was first author (put in a TON of extra work)

Currently, I'm unsure about how to improve my application, the Grad GPA and publications occurred after submitting my secondaries last app. cycle. I did update all my schools with this info, however.

Could someone suggest apparent weaknesses they see or how I may be able to improve my changes in reapplication?

I really appreciate your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Any clinical volunteering within the states? Although volunteering abroad is a nice bonus, I've read several times on here that experience within the US healthcare system is more valued for obvious reasons. Any shadowing? Non-medical community volunteer work? Teaching?

Other than that, your GPA is another weakness. Have you taken any additional classes since your application last year? A graduate GPA, unfortunately, cannot fully make up for poor undergrad grades.

The volunteering was in the US with my club...we volunteered at a homeless shelter and other places throughout the community.

I have also shadowed approx 50 hours total with 3 different doctors

Members don't see this ad :)
The volunteering was in the US with my club...we volunteered at a homeless shelter and other places throughout the community.

I have also shadowed approx 50 hours total with 3 different doctors

So the club volunteering sounds like it definitely consisted of some non-medical community service work, which is good to have. Any consistent clinical patient experience in the US? If not, that would really be something you'd need to work on. Since a physician's job often consists of a lot of educating others, teaching experience is also highly valued. The shadowing you have sounds sufficient. And again, if possible, I would try raising the undergrad GPA, especially the science.

Take some more 300-400 level biology classes. Make sure you get A's.

Increase the shadowing and clinical volunteering hours.

What was the MCAT score breakdown?

My MCAT breakdown was: 11PS 11B 10V

Thanks for the advice...I was wondering tho whether Med schools might look at it negatively if I take undergraduate science courses after having spent a year taking graduate level science (things like molecular biology, physiology, molecular genetics, etc)?

My MCAT breakdown was: 11PS 11B 10V

Thanks for the advice...I was wondering tho whether Med schools might look at it negatively if I take undergraduate science courses after having spent a year taking graduate level science (things like molecular biology, physiology, molecular genetics, etc)?

Nope. Just try to steer clear of lower division and take more advanced upper division courses or courses covering topics you have not yet been exposed to.