Considering Switching Labs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VisualSnow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently a rising Junior in undergrad and I'm interested in applying to MD/PhD programs in neuroscience. I've been in my current lab for a year now doing psychopharmacology and I have to say I really do enjoy it. I could have a chance of being published as second author if I stick around, and I know I would get a good LoR from our PI. But what I am most interested in doing is schizophrenia research. I interviewed with a schizophrenia lab whose PI is an MD/PhD. She is interested in having me in the lab, but knows my current PI and doesn't want to create bad blood by stealing me. So she told me to really consider the switch. I'd like to know what some of you guys think.

I like my current lab a lot, and I really wouldn't consider switching except for these facts about the new lab:

1. The PI is an MD/PhD -> LoR from MD/PhD would look pretty good...
2. I really am interested in doing schizophrenia research, and I think it would be good if I could talk about techniques in this field in an interview.
3. This lab has no grad students/post-docs because it is relatively new. Thus me and some other undergrads would be doing the majority of the work. This would be a big time commitment but would also be good "independent" research which seems pretty rare for an undergrad.

I guess the cons are that I would be leaving a lab that I really like which has people I enjoy working with. At the same time, the schizophrenia lab is not as established and I probably wouldn't get published if I switched to it. But I've read here that publications aren't as important as good, independent research.

Also there's the factors of having to be re-trained which would take a while, and I'm not sure if it looks bad to be switching around vs staying consistent in one lab.

So tl;dr, stay in interesting better-established lab w/ good possibility of publication vs switch to lab more relevant to my interests with less possibility of publication/more independent research under an MD/PhD...

I'm really not sure what to do. I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks guys :D

Members don't see this ad.

Can you split the obligations? I was in three labs simultaneously while in pharmacy school and a job and it worked out well, two days in each (yeah, I had to come in weekend once in a while).

I was thinking about doing both originally. But when my current PI found out I was applying to another lab she told me I was crazy and I couldn't do both. I think she thinks I work a lot more hours than I do though....

If I decided to join the new one I'm not going to leave my old lab until I absolutely can't handle the work anymore ( if that happens). So I guess it's a question of is it worth it to take on this new lab?

3. This lab has no grad students/post-docs because it is relatively new. Thus me and some other undergrads would be doing the majority of the work. This would be a big time commitment but would also be good "independent" research which seems pretty rare for an undergrad.

You may want to re-think this perspective. Independent research isn't working without oversight, it's working on a project that's your own idea start to finish. If you are doing the majority of the work on your PI's project(s), it likely won't give you time to work on your own project (especially if you're splitting time between labs).