Considering withdrawing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redbandit

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I choose to resign my contract after just having matched, what are the possible complciations? I want to go into Internal medicine, and I foolishly ranked psychiatry, thinking that is what I wanted to do, and now I am having second thoughts. Any feedback would be appreciated. I know what in some trouble

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a ACGME program?

If you don't show up for the first 45 days of scheduled work as a PGY-1 in your matched psychiatry program, you'll be ineligible for the match for some amount of time (I think it's like 3 years?), which will torpedo your chances at residency.

If you DO show up for 45 days, you can tell your PD and start working on a re-application or transfer into IM.

Of course, neither of these options is a good idea, but those would be the options. I'll wait for the peanut gallery to try to convince you this is a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 user
You just posted yesterday that you were "ecstatic" to have matched psychiatry.

Take some time to let everything sink in and stop torturing yourself by going back and forth. You signed a binding contract with the NRMP when you went through the match that you would accept the fate of the match and, as said above, work for at least 45 days in your matched program. Otherwise you will face some severe sanctions and won't have a shot at another residency for quite a while.

Read through the Gen Res forum here, do a search. There are several threads about similar situations and good explanations about options.

Reactions: 3 users
start psychiatry residency, try to get your required IM rotations early in the year, and see if you can do more difficult IM rotations than they normally give the psych residents, and use any elective time in the first year to do extra IM rotations. Start brown-nosing the IM PD at your psych residency hospital, and try to transfer to IM.

Sorry to hear you r not happy with the match. I am curious on how many IM programs you ranked before getting to the psych one?

Many people have second thoughts about the match. Start your residency and chances are you will like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear you r not happy with the match. I am curious on how many IM programs you ranked before getting to the psych one?
I ranked psychiatry higher than IM; ranks 3 and got my third. I know it sounds totally silly and I'm sure I'll start to enjoy psych. I'm just having trouble letting go of IM. I feel like I'm going through the process of grief. Feels like a breakup