Considering year between M3 and M4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Odysseus Rex

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
US MD student here. Halfway through our clinical year, I'm narrowed down to 2-3 specialties, each relatively competitive. Having narrow clinical experience before med school, I often wish I could fully experience my rotations rather than expediting a decision to apply for aways in March/April (our year ends in June). I also haven't spent as much dedicated time to develop skills in research and writing as I'd like to for personal development.

I did well on Step 1 and rotations so far, and word from my advisors is that LORs, research, and school reputation will make the difference in the match. And to be real, I sort of want to slow down to really hone in on my career/life goals before jumping into the grind of the match and the commitment of residency + fellowship. I took no gap years between college and med school, so age is an asset. I'm fortunate that I'll graduate with no loans, but I understand the financial penalty is a year of attending salary and cost of living.

Are these good reasons to take a year? Are there less intensive options than the "research coordinator" med students who work like 7am-5pm M-F?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you pay 200k to be a research coordinator? That's basically what you're doing except more

Would you pay 200k to be a research coordinator? That's basically what you're doing except more

No, but I consider myself weak in research and have non-medical interests that I'd devote time to before digging into this career. Having 200k in my pocket today wouldn't change my happiness, just how much $ I waste.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on if you think you can match. If you can, then I would wait and do the research year during residency. Some of the academic places have mandatory research years.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Do you have a particular interest in research? You can do research to make you competitive to match without a gap year. I'm weak in research as well and couldn't care less.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with try and finish school now. If you want to do a year of research do it as a resident. It sounds like you're just getting cold feet but don't actually need some resume booster.

US MD student here. Halfway through our clinical year, I'm narrowed down to 2-3 specialties, each relatively competitive. Having narrow clinical experience before med school, I often wish I could fully experience my rotations rather than expediting a decision to apply for aways in March/April (our year ends in June). I also haven't spent as much dedicated time to develop skills in research and writing as I'd like to for personal development.

I did well on Step 1 and rotations so far, and word from my advisors is that LORs, research, and school reputation will make the difference in the match. And to be real, I sort of want to slow down to really hone in on my career/life goals before jumping into the grind of the match and the commitment of residency + fellowship. I took no gap years between college and med school, so age is an asset. I'm fortunate that I'll graduate with no loans, but I understand the financial penalty is a year of attending salary and cost of living.

Are these good reasons to take a year? Are there less intensive options than the "research coordinator" med students who work like 7am-5pm M-F?

No, but I consider myself weak in research and have non-medical interests that I'd devote time to before digging into this career. Having 200k in my pocket today wouldn't change my happiness, just how much $ I waste.

If you can be more specific about what specialties you are interested in and how much research you've done in med school so far, we can probably give you better advice.

It's easy to say people can become competitive without taking a research year, but being actually productive during 3rd year to become competitive at the time of ERAS submission is a different story and takes a lot of effort and luck. And there are many people who initially thought they were competitive, but they realized they were not competitive after meeting with other applicants who have a lot more research and etc.

Need more information. Do you have a PI and a project lined up? Is it realistic that you could get multiple pubs? What have other students that worked with this person gone on to do? Can you match without it or pick up a smaller project now?

Could be worth it depending on your situation i suppose. I know at my home med school there was an ortho research position that was very competitive to get into but the person has always been ranked and matched the following year. In a situation like that, the choice is obvious.

If you can be more specific about what specialties you are interested in and how much research you've done in med school so far, we can probably give you better advice.

It's easy to say people can become competitive without taking a research year, but being actually productive during 3rd year to become competitive at the time of ERAS submission is a different story and takes a lot of effort and luck. And there are many people who initially thought they were competitive, but they realized they were not competitive after meeting with other applicants who have a lot more research and etc.

Orthopaedic and plastic surgery. I will have the opportunity to rotate in ortho, but not in plastic unless I do a 4th year AI in July or scrub informally in free time. I have posters in both specialties. My research count for ERAS today would be 3 abstracts, 3 posters and 0 pubs with 0 projects currently in the works. Luckily, I have connected mentors in both fields.

I appreciate all the above advice about doing research later in my career. Searching the forums, I agree with the point that a year is more valuable past residency when you really know your interests. I think I'm more concerned about having a good match in the context of the bolded text.

I appreciate all the above advice about doing research later in my career. Searching the forums, I agree with the point that a year is more valuable past residency when you really know your interests. I think I'm more concerned about having a good match in the context of the bolded text.

Look at the charting outcomes pdfs. Talk to your advisers. That will give you a better idea of where you stand.

Orthopaedic and plastic surgery. I will have the opportunity to rotate in ortho, but not in plastic unless I do a 4th year AI in July or scrub informally in free time. I have posters in both specialties. My research count for ERAS today would be 3 abstracts, 3 posters and 0 pubs with 0 projects currently in the works. Luckily, I have connected mentors in both fields.

You should stick to one specialty and commit to it as early as you can. I know it can be difficult, but there is just not enough time to do many away rotations and research to make you competitive for both specialties at the same time. If your goal is to match at your home program, you probably have a decent chance for both specialties since your mentors know you already. In this case, a research year might not be necessary. But if you are hoping for other top programs, it’s possible that even a research year might not be enough.

In addition to charting outcomes, I would encourage you to look into mid/top tier programs and their current residents. Look up their linkedin or researchgate profiles, and honestly ask yourself if you are a competitive applicant. Sometimes even advisers and mentors don’t realize how competitive applicants become every year, so they may give you some false hope.

The speciality you apply to will have research heavy and research weak programs. You'll decide then if you want research to be a part of your career. Doing a year now to match at a 'top place' (i.e. research heavy) all the while never actually liking research makes no sense. Know thyself.

Do you need another year to grow up? If yes, then I would take the year off. I took two gap years between college and med school so I got it out of my system. Honestly I feel good every day. Gotta say that life is pretty dope furreal. If you just want a break to drink beer then sure take the year off for "research" and get a pub or three out of it.

I doubt however that years off ever really help shore up deficiencies. I really really doubt that a PD would look at an app and say "wow... Odysseus rex did a year of research! They took a break from his/her studies just to shoot the **** with some faculty and managed to crank out a pub!! This makes me want them at my school MUCH MUCH MORE!"

Do you need another year to grow up? If yes, then I would take the year off. I took two gap years between college and med school so I got it out of my system. Honestly I feel good every day. Gotta say that life is pretty dope furreal. If you just want a break to drink beer then sure take the year off for "research" and get a pub or three out of it.

I doubt however that years off ever really help shore up deficiencies. I really really doubt that a PD would look at an app and say "wow... Odysseus rex did a year of research! They took a break from his/her studies just to shoot the **** with some faculty and managed to crank out a pub!! This makes me want them at my school MUCH MUCH MORE!"
1/3 of the class at my school takes a year between years 3/4.

If you're feeling like you'd benefit from a break between these two years, I suggest doing it! I think that taking a break and coming back feeling rejuvenated can have a huge difference on your last year of training and where you go from there. Depending on what you do, it could have a big impact on your skill set. Have you thought about a formal training or fellowship program like the CDC/CSTE Applied Epidemiology Fellowship? Something like that would likely have components that are relevant to a number of different medical specialties, but would be less intense that med school clinical rotations.

I agree with this argument but why do I never see it presented to college students who take a gap year before medical school? or people that take a gap year before college with the intention of going to medical school someday? People I've met at my school who took gap years all are happy they did. I don't think 200k is a big deal in the long run of a 20-30+ year career

Are you talking about undergrad? What are you talking about (med student accepted)?

A third? No way. Not unless they are doing a combined MPH program or something. What are you talking about? 1/3 just to pump out a paper or two?

1/3 of the class at my school takes a year between years 3/4.

I agree with this argument but why do I never see it presented to college students who take a gap year before medical school? or people that take a gap year before college with the intention of going to medical school someday? People I've met at my school who took gap years all are happy they did. I don't think 200k is a big deal in the long run of a 20-30+ year career

I don’t know that this argument really stands. There’s no magic age at which you have to retire. Some people rather enjoy their youth years instead of retire a year early...

I know of surgeons who practice well into their 60’s and FM/IM doctors who go part time almost immediately. There’s more to life and a career than maximizing the number of dollars earned.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you talking about undergrad? What are you talking about (med student accepted)?

A third? No way. Not unless they are doing a combined MPH program or something. What are you talking about? 1/3 just to pump out a paper or two?

I interviewed at top tier EM places, and I was shocked to see so many dual degree or research fellowship peeps. They were doing meaningful policy/global health/substance abuse/research/tech/start up stuff that I found really impressive (and honestly super intimidating). I'm always surprised to see so many people on SDN put so much value into monetary things. Like posters have mentioned, there's (A LOT) more to life than maximizing one's earning potential.

As for me, I got an MPH and did research before medical school. I have a lot of friends who did a research year or MPH/MBA/MPP year between M3 and M4 -- every one of them absolutely loved it, and it definitely helped them match at top places.

Reactions: 1 users

Med school.

You're not in medical school yet. A gap year can help you get into a school with a better reputation or get into any school period.

If you're in the third year of medical school, you likely have 3 years of loans on top of whatever you have for undergrad, increasing at 6% a year. You lose a year of savings which can add up to a significant amount over 20-30 years. It's just a really poor financial decision.