Efficiency as an M3 studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hollow Knight

Praise the sun
Reaction score
Hi friends. So if by the grace of God I pass step 1 (still awaiting results), I will have barely passed. I waited too late to hop on the Anki/UFAPS train as an M2 for step 1. I never want to be that nervous for a shelf/step exam again. I start clerkships in a few weeks.

How do I efficiently prepare for shelves/step 2 as an M3? I know AnKing is great, but my school is pretty hardcore (overnight call up to once a week with no post call days for med students), so I'm not sure I'll have time to do hundreds of flashcards every day.

I'm dead set on FM at a community program. I'm not gunning for derm/ortho over here, I just want to reliably pass my shelves/step 2. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Grind through uWorld during rotations while making Anki cards from foreign concepts/incorrects. If possible, make a pass through uWorld incorrects and Amboss 2-4 hammer questions. In the week leading up to the exam, complete all the CMS forms.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hi friends. So if by the grace of God I pass step 1 (still awaiting results), I will have barely passed. I waited too late to hop on the Anki/UFAPS train as an M2 for step 1. I never want to be that nervous for a shelf/step exam again. I start clerkships in a few weeks.

How do I efficiently prepare for shelves/step 2 as an M3? I know AnKing is great, but my school is pretty hardcore (overnight call up to once a week with no post call days for med students), so I'm not sure I'll have time to do hundreds of flashcards every day.

I'm dead set on FM at a community program. I'm not gunning for derm/ortho over here, I just want to reliably pass my shelves/step 2. Any advice would be appreciated.
UWorld and pay attention to the real cases you see. When it comes to Step 2, common sense in the clinical scenarios goes a long way in my experience.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Uworld + Anking (the AnkiHub deck). It’s tagged by question number. Do a question, read through the explanation, unsuspend pertaining cards, never forget the concept…

In hindsight - this is how I wish I would’ve studied. I started doing that during dedicated for step 2 (far too late!) and saw a noticeable distance.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users