2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Diagnostic: 505( 126/126/126/127)

1: 505(126/125/127/127)

2: 503(125/126/126/126)

3: 505 (126/126/127/126)

I know I have some C/P and P/S gaps and I'm working on them this next week. I plan to take one more NS and then work on AAMC stuff. Is a consistent score good or bad?

I feel like just analyzing Nextstep passages is a skill itself. I'm getting better at analyzing passages.

Should I be worried?

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Diagnostic: 505( 126/126/126/127)

1: 505(126/125/127/127)

2: 503(125/126/126/126)

3: 505 (126/126/127/126)

I know I have some C/P and P/S gaps and I'm working on them this next week. I plan to take one more NS and then work on AAMC stuff. Is a consistent score good or bad?

I feel like just analyzing Nextstep passages is a skill itself. I'm getting better at analyzing passages.

Should I be worried?
I wouldn't be worried.. My third party exam scores were all in the same range and none of them that great. AAMC materials are by far the most indicative of how you'll perform.

Third party exams also seem to be a bit more difficult so the fact that you're scoring 505 should bolster your confidence.

Reactions: bears1992
OP
azolesoul

azolesoul

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I wouldn't be worried.. My third party exam scores were all in the same range and none of them that great. AAMC materials are by far the most indicative of how you'll perform.

Third party exams also seem to be a bit more difficult so the fact that you're scoring 505 should bolster your confidence.

What if I know that I'm deficient in certain topics? I know I need to take AAMC FLs but I'm afraid to do so because I don't know if I know as much as I should. If I know I don't know some things, how should I review and expand my base knowledge?

I don't want my AAMC scores to be artificially deflated.

About the Ads

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
What if I know that I'm deficient in certain topics? I know I need to take AAMC FLs but I'm afraid to do so because I don't know if I know as much as I should. If I know I don't know some things, how should I review and expand my base knowledge?

I don't want my AAMC scores to be artificially deflated.
I took my AAMC FLs when I had content gaps too. The importance of the AAMC FLs lies in how they show you the way passages and questions are framed on the real thing. I know that personally, after having taken AAMC FL 1 I was able to study areas I struggled in better because I had a conception of how that material might actually look on the real thing.

And look, AAMC FL scores are a nice confidence booster and people do usually score around their averages for that, but your practice exams don't lock you into any score. I took AAMC FL2 about sixteen days before my real exam and scored a 510. It exposed my weaknesses which I address in those two weeks and ended up getting a 514.

Are you taking sept 9? If so I really would recommend you begin using official practice materials asap.

Reactions: azolesoul

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I have similar scores to yours on NS and gaps in content in the same area. I test 8/18, I'm currently working on SB but I'll probably take AAMC FL this week. I'll either PM you or update you here on how it goes so you have an idea. I finished C/P SB and an working on B/B currently. I got a better % on C/P SB than I did on any NS I took and I took 1-3. B/B is going better than my NS scores too so far.

theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Address content/knowledge gaps before doing AAMC. What's your target?

theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Medical Student
when's your test date? Review your needed areas and it's possible for sure.

OP
azolesoul

azolesoul

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
when's your test date? Review your needed areas and it's possible for sure.
That's the problem- I test on 8/19. I gotta go study, haha.

I'll be back on the board after 8/19.

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student
That's the problem- I test on 8/19. I gotta go study, haha.

I'll be back on the board after 8/19.
Oh nevermind to my previous post then. I read the other users post and thought your date was 9/9!

OP
azolesoul

azolesoul

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm starting to have panic attacks- took AAMC sample (glitches and only finished C/P- got 64%).

This exam is making me feel really simple minded.

I cannot postpone and I don't know what to do- I know I suck at physics so I guess il review that in addition to psych/sociology.

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Take a deep breath.

I did the same thing you did - I took the sample exam first and promptly had a panic attack, which is why I now recommend that people take the sample in between FL 1 and FL 2. My whopping 59% on C/P on the sample test translated to a 129 on FL 1 a month later - my knowledge didn't increase significantly, the percentages on the sample test are just useless for gauging your performance. You've got this, you're doing great!

Now for the love of god, go take FL 1 so that you can calm down!

Reactions: workaholic181
OP
azolesoul

azolesoul

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Take a deep breath.

I did the same thing you did - I took the sample exam first and promptly had a panic attack, which is why I now recommend that people take the sample in between FL 1 and FL 2. My whopping 59% on C/P on the sample test translated to a 129 on FL 1 a month later - my knowledge didn't increase significantly, the percentages on the sample test are just useless for gauging your performance. You've got this, you're doing great!

Now for the love of god, go take FL 1 so that you can calm down!
FL#1 (501)-54 Percentile
C/P-- 126 (67%)
CARS--127(83%)
B/B-- 125(54%)
P/S--123 (30%)

I knew my Psych would be low because I'm still drilling content but am I in deep trouble? Even if I got my psych to average, that's only a 503.
Ugh, I'm so sick of MCAT stuff.

What should I do (keeping in mind I cannot reschedule)?

About the Ads

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
FL#1 (501)-54 Percentile
C/P-- 126 (67%)
CARS--127(83%)
B/B-- 125(54%)
P/S--123 (30%)

I knew my Psych would be low because I'm still drilling content but am I in deep trouble? Even if I got my psych to average, that's only a 503.

Why is rescheduling not an option? Do you have your heart set on MD only?

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
FL#1 (501)-54 Percentile
C/P-- 126 (67%)
CARS--127(83%)
B/B-- 125(54%)
P/S--123 (30%)

It is possible to learn psych really quickly. So you can shore up that area in ten days.

But if you're not feeling like you can be confident on test day you can always just void and reschedule.

OP
azolesoul

azolesoul

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
It is possible to learn psych really quickly. So you can shore up that area in ten days.

But if you're not feeling like you can be confident on test day you can always just void and reschedule.
It's not that I'm not confident, it's just that everything is indicating that I'm too stupid to do well on this exam. I've honestly been putting in the effort but see no results. I'm taking 15 credits this Fall and I cannot study for this again anytime soon and I've already submitted to schools.

I'm so distraught and I honestly have no clue as to how to proceed.

Jul 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
You sound like someone that's on the verge of burnout. Listen. The only advice you need right now is a 15 minute walk around the block to clear your head. This attitude your proceeding with is suppressing your mental clarity, which you definitely need for the upcoming 11 days.

Again, take a walk and slow down those panicky thoughts. Most of them aren't "useful" anyways. When you're mind is more clear, then you'll have enough room to come back and reevaluate your study plan.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
It's not that I'm not confident, it's just that everything is indicating that I'm too stupid to do well on this exam. I've honestly been putting in the effort but see no results. I'm taking 15 credits this Fall and I cannot study for this again anytime soon and I've already submitted to schools.

I meant confident you are capable of performing on the exam and your saying you're not smart enough to do well clearly shows that you're not.

15 credits isn't that much, you could easily still study an hour or two a day and then hit it hard over Christmas break to take a Jan exam.

You're not dumb. You scored better than average on a hard test. It does sound like you're not in a good place to test next Friday though.

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student

I'm currently studying for the MCAT but FWIW here is what I would do. You have said you can't reschedule, so just put your head in the books. Take a full day or maybe 2 if you need it and just go over all the major P/S concepts thoroughly and at least try to get familiar with the terms. Then I would work through the SB. Then Take AAMC FL2. Drill any content you feel you need as well (physics formulas, pathways, amino acids, etc). I feel like the SB have prepared me to do much better on AAMC FL 2 now that I sort of see how the MCAT asks things. Again, like I said before since our overall scores have been similar I'll try to update as I'm taking AAMC FL 2 Friday. However some of the other people on here like workaholic would be much better at advising you than me. But at this point you can't reschedule anyways, so at this point I think the question is void or not void and use the extra AAMC materials or save them.

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Honestly, I think you really need to consider delaying your application until next cycle at this point if you aren't willing to add DO schools to your application.

This is not because obtaining a score that will get you admitted is impossible at this point - it's definitely possible for you. However, you don't seem to be in a good place mentally to take the MCAT right now and I suspect that you'll perform MUCH better when you take some pressure off, whether that comes in the form of delaying your application so that you have more time to get familiar with the material, or adding DO schools to your application so that you know with certainty you'll get in somewhere. You can do this and rock it - you just need to be in the right place to take it, without an incredible amount of pressure on you.

OP
azolesoul

azolesoul

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm currently studying for the MCAT but FWIW here is what I would do. You have said you can't reschedule, so just put your head in the books. Take a full day or maybe 2 if you need it and just go over all the major P/S concepts thoroughly and at least try to get familiar with the terms. Then I would work through the SB. Then Take AAMC FL2. Drill any content you feel you need as well (physics formulas, pathways, amino acids, etc). I feel like the SB have prepared me to do much better on AAMC FL 2 now that I sort of see how the MCAT asks things. Again, like I said before since our overall scores have been similar I'll try to update as I'm taking AAMC FL 2 Friday. However some of the other people on here like workaholic would be much better at advising you than me. But at this point you can't reschedule anyways, so at this point I think the question is void or not void and use the extra AAMC materials or save them.

I'm going to bust my behind this next week, take FL #2 and go from there.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
OP
azolesoul

azolesoul

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Honestly, I think you really need to consider delaying your application until next cycle at this point if you aren't willing to add DO schools to your application.

This is not because obtaining a score that will get you admitted is impossible at this point - it's definitely possible for you. However, you don't seem to be in a good place mentally to take the MCAT right now and I suspect that you'll perform MUCH better when you take some pressure off, whether that comes in the form of delaying your application so that you have more time to get familiar with the material, or adding DO schools to your application so that you know with certainty you'll get in somewhere. You can do this and rock it - you just need to be in the right place to take it, without an incredible amount of pressure on you.
I'm in a decent space I just self deprecate to be funny. I'm studying now and will sit on 8/19.

Btw, how accurate are AAMC FL converters/ predictors on Reddit?

I've taken NS exams and averaged 505 and a converter predicted my score as 506- if I buckle down I know I can hit 508+.

Thanks again guys!

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm in a decent space I just self deprecate to be funny. I'm studying now and will sit on 8/19.

Btw, how accurate are AAMC FL converters/ predictors on Reddit?

I've taken NS exams and averaged 505 and a converter predicted my score as 506- if I buckle down I know I can hit 508+.

Thanks again guys!
Not accurate at all. Really, you just need to base your judgement on FL 1 and FL 2.

OP
azolesoul

azolesoul

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Not accurate at all. Really, you just need to base your judgement on FL 1 and FL 2.
Okay, good to know.

If I take FL 2 next week, what score would be indicative of getting a 510? Would I need slightly better than 510 in FL2 to be in a good spot?

Last edited:

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay, good to know.

If I take FL 2 next week, what score would be indicative of getting a 510? Would I need slightly better than 510 in FL2 to be in a good spot?

I finished FL 1 kinda early ( except cars, where I got 83 percentile) so I think slowing down may help me.

Worst case scenario, if I get at least a 503, I'll do the EVMS SMP( hopefully).
It seems that the average of FL 1 and FL 2 are the best predictor if both are taken relatively close to your test date. If one is taken significantly closer, that score is the best predictor.

OP
azolesoul

azolesoul

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
If I can take more NS exams before FL 2, should I take this course of action?

I'm seeing that a lot of my errors on FL 1 were due to moving too quickly and I think if I practice more calm test taking I can improve.

About the Ads