Consolidating with Direct Loans

Started by pmpkn219
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pmpkn219

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All my loans are the Federal direct Sub or Unsubsidized. And since I got them recently, all have a 6.8% rate. I still got an email from DLS the other day pointing out that I can soon consolidate, sign up for Automatic Debit, etc...

They mentioned the 0.25% interest cut for using automatic withdrawal which I'm down with, but they also state that I can consolidate during my Grace period. They say the interest rate during Grace is actually 5/8th of a point (~0.6%) less than once you enter repayment. So does that mean during Grace the rate is 6.8, and it hops up to ~7.4 after X days... or are my unsub. loans now accruing at ~6.2, and in repayment would jump to 6.8?

I checked on "entrance counseling" and couldn't find an answer... I know 5/8 isn't a huge difference, but every bit helps =)

I'm not sure if they sent me the email in error, or if they send it to all students with Direct Loans... would they even let me "consolidate" 3 loans which all have Exactly the same rate, from the same lender? The weighted average would obviously be 6.8!

I hate loans😕
 
All my loans are the Federal direct Sub or Unsubsidized. And since I got them recently, all have a 6.8% rate. I still got an email from DLS the other day pointing out that I can soon consolidate, sign up for Automatic Debit, etc...

They mentioned the 0.25% interest cut for using automatic withdrawal which I'm down with, but they also state that I can consolidate during my Grace period. They say the interest rate during Grace is actually 5/8th of a point (~0.6%) less than once you enter repayment. So does that mean during Grace the rate is 6.8, and it hops up to ~7.4 after X days... or are my unsub. loans now accruing at ~6.2, and in repayment would jump to 6.8?

I checked on "entrance counseling" and couldn't find an answer... I know 5/8 isn't a huge difference, but every bit helps =)

I'm not sure if they sent me the email in error, or if they send it to all students with Direct Loans... would they even let me "consolidate" 3 loans which all have Exactly the same rate, from the same lender? The weighted average would obviously be 6.8!

I hate loans😕

Yeah, the idea is you get a new rate, a higher one that is, and then they extend it out from a 10 yr note to a 20 or 30 yr, thus lowering your payments.
 
Your rate with Direct is fixed at 6.8 so there won't be a rate change from in school to grace to repayment. Get online to your account www.dl.ed.gov to verify they are all fixed 6.8 first and get a good understanding of your options before selecting or consolidating.
If you elect to consolidate, your rate would be the weighted average of 6.8 rounded to the next 1/8 percent or 6.875. I think you'd be raising your rate by .075 for naught...
Look over the repayment plans since they are a bit different for borrowers prior to 2007, consol loans vs non-consol loans (they're a bit whacky the way they are presented but there's a difference in the length of repayment etc. If you were in repayment prior to 9/2007 there are old repayment plans up to 30 years you may not need to select-- get into the DL homepage and read it over carefully). I'm certain DL just sent out the email to all their borrowers soon to enter their grace.