consolidation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedyx3

I'm Columbian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just talked to a T.H.E finan officer and she told me that if I consolidate my subsidized loans from undergrad that I would not lose the deferment benefit and I would not pay any interest on them until i graduate dental school. But I was under the assumption that if you consolidate loans then you lose the deferment benefit. Can someone clear this up for me?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can defer, but you cannot reconsolidate. Consolidation is a one-time thing. If you consolidate now, you cannot add all your med school loans to it. Wait until you graduate med school, then consolidate all at once. I use THE.

OSUdoc08 said:
You can defer, but you cannot reconsolidate. Consolidation is a one-time thing. If you consolidate now, you cannot add all your med school loans to it. Wait until you graduate med school, then consolidate all at once. I use THE.

Are you sure cause I asked them this question specifically. They said that as long as I gain new loans I can reconsolidate those new loans.

freedyx3 said:
Are you sure cause I asked them this question specifically. They said that as long as I gain new loans I can reconsolidate those new loans.

You can, but not with the loans you previously consolidated. That means you will have a seperate consolidation of undergrad and med loans.

This comes from the director of my financial aid office.