osteodoct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2005
Status
Hi,
Whats the point of consolidating loans? The offers I have been getting seem to be @ the same interest rate that I currently have. Is it to extend the life of the loan to 30 years, so that payments are lower? Is this a good idea to do? I'm getting ready to graduate med school, and need to know what to do! Of course, I am deferring my loans thru residency

May 8, 2004
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Hi,
Whats the point of consolidating loans? The offers I have been getting seem to be @ the same interest rate that I currently have. Is it to extend the life of the loan to 30 years, so that payments are lower? Is this a good idea to do? I'm getting ready to graduate med school, and need to know what to do! Of course, I am deferring my loans thru residency

time to rethink that last statement, economic hardship deferment will disappear July 1, 2009.

osteodoct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2005
Status
time to rethink that last statement, economic hardship deferment will disappear July 1, 2009.

I thought alot of resident also chose to defer based on 'in training' status? Is this criteria dissappearing as well?

About the Ads

cocojambo

10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2008
Status
What amount of loans are we talking about here?

If you have several different loans with high interest rates, you could consolidate them with 1 low interest rate every month via a credit counseling agency or something, so instead of making 3 different payments to 3 different companies every month, you only have to make 1 payment with a lower interest rate. Although it is hard to find such good deals nowadays.

box29

Keep on keepin' on Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2002
Status
  1. Attending Physician
What about private loans from a few different lenders...nelnet and ACS...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads