Constantly close pharmacies because of staffing issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makeawish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EVERY.SINGLE.DAY! My scheduler and DL post groupchat to find RPh coverage. There were more than 15 holes this week, and everybody has to take some sorts of extra shifts. They scheduled me last 2 weekends in a row and still texted me today for help.
They hired bunch of CHEAP grad interns and waiting them to be licensed, and we are suffering and drowning. They had to close pharmacies multiple times b/c no rph were available.
Things that pisses me off the most is the quality of the grad intern that they hired and I am working with now. He barely know any of drug names or classes. He typed one RX for waiter then asked me to QV1, then jumped and tried to get amphetamine bottles from the shelve. I had to tell him “that is in the SAFE!”. This is just one of the thousands episodes I have to deal with every day. Smh
Is this staffing issue normal in this time of the year? Or just my district?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
seems to be an issue every July/August when RPh have PTO approved and grads not yet licensed

Reactions: 2 users
This crap is just going to keep getting worse until it reaches a critical turning point. Who knows when this point will occur or what this will look like.

Members don't see this ad :)
This crap is just going to keep getting worse until it reaches a critical turning point. Who knows when this point will occur or what this will look like.
I think the turning point will be when some young pretty looking lady dies as a result of this circus.

Reactions: 4 users
That would "likely" only happen at a pharmacy in a college town.

Regular pharmacies mostly have uggos for customers and the uggo factor is inversely correlated with SES

Reactions: 1 users
The issue is not about RPh but it is about getting and retaining good tech. It is the tech who break or make your pharmacy. New grad RPh will get better with time... but without good tech, it will still be a **** show. Critical turning point? I don't think so. The risk for someone to die at retail pharmacy is pretty low (probably lower than the risk of someone having an anaphylactic shock after getting flu shot). If you actually make mistake and people die from it, then it would be on you and your license. Your company will probably be in the news for a little bit and then what ? Nothing will happen to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Unless they start paying techs more they will never stay. F-ing hobby lobby pays cashiers $15 an hour.

Dammmnnnn...who is letting these kids pass pharmacy school if they don't even know drug classes or very basic pharmacy laws? If that is the new standard for pharmacists these days, we're all definitely screwed.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools cannot afford to 'let's anyone fail at this point. I have students that were supposed to be put back a year because of grades but instead they kept them at their current level because they were going to transfer if they had to start all over. All about the money.

Schools cannot afford to 'let's anyone fail at this point. I have students that were supposed to be put back a year because of grades but instead they kept them at their current level because they were going to transfer if they had to start all over. All about the money.

If they stay back a year, that's another year of tuition they have to pay. Wouldn't this be more profitable?

Nm, missed the part where they would transfer. Can you transfer pharmacy classes between schools? Thought you would have up start over anyway.

If they stay back a year, that's another year of tuition they have to pay. Wouldn't this be more profitable?

Nm, missed the part where they would transfer. Can you transfer pharmacy classes between schools? Thought you would have up start over anyway.
Same, I remember you had to start over

Can you transfer pharmacy classes between schools? Thought you would have up start over anyway.
That was my impression as well. We had a student who was academically dismissed from my school after failing P2 year then getting caught cheating while repeating classes. She was able to start over at a neighboring program

It would be more profitable to get an extra year of tuition but other schools are trying to recruit students from other programs and letting them start at an advanced point in the curriculum where they don't have to start over.

It would be more profitable to get an extra year of tuition but other schools are trying to recruit students from other programs and letting them start at an advanced point in the curriculum where they don't have to start over.
The rats are starting to turn on each other. I wonder how that even works, seems like something that would be prohibited.

The rats are starting to turn on each other. I wonder how that even works, seems like something that would be prohibited.
Nope. Had a couple of students fail some classes at end of P1 second semester and they should start over again in the fall auditing the first semester but other schools scooped them up and allow them to begin P2 year. Student also have to pay out of pocket for auditing classes since federal financial aid doesn't pay for the second class twice.

It really is now just sign your name and get your degree. Employers really going to have to do some good vetting.

Nope. Had a couple of students fail some classes at end of P1 second semester and they should start over again in the fall auditing the first semester but other schools scooped them up and allow them to begin P2 year. Student also have to pay out of pocket for auditing classes since federal financial aid doesn't pay for the second class twice.

It really is now just sign your name and get your degree. Employers really going to have to do some good vetting.
Oh yeah, i have met lot of students below my class that made me wonder how they got in pharmacy school. But I realized now anyone can get into pharmacy school, and these stupid people think that pharmacy is still easy money lol 😂