Construction to Med-school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamshake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll give you a brief background and then my question. Sorry for the length, but my question is specific to my background.

Background:
-B.S. Construction Technology (no minor) (8 years of college)
-G.P.A. - 2.4
-Debt - substantial
-Age - 26
-Time in industry - 1 year

I spent the first 4 years figuring out what to do and partying, and the next 4 years doing the chosen path. The last year of school I made all A's b/c of a sudden interest in learning (imagine that!). I was about a 2.0 until the last year, and I brought it up to a 2.4 (lots of retakes). By year 6 I hated my major, but it was too late to change. I also don't like my job. However, I do have really good retention for medicine for some reason. Why I didn't go for it from the start? No idea!

Question:

Is it out of the question to go back and take the pre-reqs, attempt as many "A's" as I can get, and shoot for Med-School? I'm aware that it will take at least 3 years to take all of the science courses needed. I don't really care about age. Post-Bacc programs are out of the question, being that there aren't any available near me. I need to take these classes however I can get them while working full time.

TLDR - Bad grades, little experience, love for medicine, lots of pre-reqs...possible?

Members don't see this ad.

This will probably be repeated but grades aside do you have any shadowing or volunteer experience that makes you interested in medicine? This is the number one thing that many here feel is necessary to even begin the journey of bad grades to med school.

It's not directly related, but I was veterinary technician for 2 years. Getting to be a part of surgeries and learning about how things worked just blew me away.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's nice to see another former construction worker here. I spent a few years building spec homes in Colorado, and I just finished remodeling a fixer-upper house. Two years ago I had a 2.89 GPA, not much better than yours, and after I did a self-constructed postbac program I got more med school interviews than I knew what to do with. If you put in the necessary effort, it will pay off in the end.

Follow DrMidlife's instructions here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11083370&postcount=3 DO medical schools allow grade replacement with retakes, so you can bring your GPA up to competitive levels with much less effort than if you try for MD schools. Do the basic science prereq classes and then retake classes until your GPA with grade replacement is at least a 3.3. Study hard for the MCAT and you'll be a good candidate for DO schools.

Your grades will haunt you, so most MD schools are beyond your reach unless you are willing to put in a huge amount of time and effort. You would need to take all the pre-reqs, MCAT and place into an affliated SMP to gain admission to an MD school. Each one of those steps have several pitfalls (eg bad grades in prereqs, less than ideal MCAT score, rejection from SMP).

DO is going to be slightly less work, but still substantial. First, you would need to get your cGPA up to at least a 3.0, preferably >3.3. Do well on the MCAT and apply broadly. DO schools allow grade replacement (turn Fs into As) while MD schools will only average your retakes.

It's not directly related, but I was veterinary technician for 2 years. Getting to be a part of surgeries and learning about how things worked just blew me away.

This question will come up many times. Why medical school and not veterinary school? I think you should do some shadowing, get to know some docs, crank out the prereq's with as close to a 4.0, crush the MCAT, apply MD and DO (and be able to articulate good reasons for each), and leave the rest up to God. Good luck. Keep us posted.

I really appreciate the responses. I even MORE appreciate the responses being constructive rather than negative. Dr. Midlife's instructions are rather encouraging. Thank you for that post! In regards to Med/Vet school debate...not that I don't love animals, because I do. Veterinary practice is interesting, but humans are far more intriguing. Also, the opportunity to save a life or extend one so that one can enjoy all that their life could offer with friends, family, loved ones, holds so much more value. I saw that mostly after both my grandfather and father had a big bout with malignant melanomas and survived.

Again I appreciate the responses. It has given me a lot to think about!

With a 2.4 you are in for a very tough road. You can't just will yourself to go from a C student to an A student, you'll have to find out what needs to change.

1st - do the math for DO and MD, how many credits at a 3.8+ do you need to get to 3.0? This is the basement minimum.

2nd - how many years will that take?

3rd - if you still aren't discouraged take a class while working and start some type of medical volunteering to get exposure to the field. Get an A at all costs.

4th - if you like what you see volunteering and make an A continue and add in some shadowing and take two classes. Make As at all costs.

5th - continue working, taking classes and volunteering until your GPA is over 3.0. This may take 3+ years.

6th - once all prereqs are done take the MCAT, study like your life depends on it

7th - if you still have your sanity after all this time with a string of As, a 3.0+, and a solid MCAT score, apply

Goodluck! :luck:

hamshake,

First, good for you for thinking about pursuing medicine after coming from a different background (construction). I can relate as I did the same. So, I wish you the best of luck!

So, to answer your question; no, I don't think its out of the question to give it a shot to med school. You're right it will take you a few years to get everything in order to be a competitive applicant. However, if medicine is something that you truly want to pursue then you can make it happen. That being said, I think you might want to be a little more open to considering a post-bac program even if there isn't one near you. You may have to relocate in order to do one ( I know this is easier said than done but it will be very worthwhile for you). You should also try and get some more clinical exposure, such as shadowing, to make sure that an MD program is really the path and career for you.

Again, I wish you the best of luck!

Like others have said, I am sure you can do it. I would make double sure, regularly, that this is what you want to do, though.

Your story vaguely reminded me of a book I read about going from a construction worker to an orthopedic surgeon called Blue Collar Blue Scrubs. I wouldn't say it's a revolutionary read, but I enjoyed the story and it may help you.

OP,

Go read "Hot Lights Cold Steel" and "Blue Collar Blue Scrubs" by Dr. Michael J. Collins

They're written by an orthopedic surgeon who was in a very similar position to yours, even doing construction and then decided down the path to go to medical school and is now a very well established surgeon in Illinios.

They're two of the most inspiring books I've ever read for future physicians as well.

I read some excerpts of the books, and they seem pretty interesting. I am going to pick them up after work ! I appreciate the recommendation!

OP, I'm pretty much with twinsfan... you need to basically take another 80cr at 4.0 (A- or A) and see where you land. You might have to push into 90... I moved my GPA from a 2.8 to a 3.2 with ~80cr ~3.9... I already had a crapload of credits and now have over 200... Additionally, you may be in a state with academic forgiveness, or your school may have it... depending on length of time out of school... look into it, OR retake anything below a C... at least in the DO world you'll get academic forgiveness...