How to prove academic readiness for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CapybaraBerry

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, a little bit background, during undergrad, I work closely to 25-35 hours per week while taking classes full/part time (depends on semester, full time semester I worked 25 hours, for part time semester I worked 35 hours or more). However I only graduated with 3.38 cGPA, 3.57 sGPA, definitely not high or competitive for med school. So I need to study my butt off for a high MCAT to somehow alleviate this.

I'm working full time now in a clinic while preparing for MCAT which I will take early next year. Definitely accumulated more than 5k hours as MA for cardiology, 1k hours of shadowing primary care, 150 hours for non clinical (undergrad club), 2k hours leadership (MA leader at my job where I train new employees, chemistry tutor for a semester undergrad). I know and understand why medicine or this path.

I'm planning to apply next cycle 2027. My question, is it worth it to go back to school for some upper div bio courses to show I can handle the rigor? I'm planning to go to community college for anatomy and genetics (I can't do at university since I work full time) classes during nights. However I heard that CC upper classes aren't favorable for admission? What should I do to prove that I can handle the academic rigorous in my application?
 
Last edited:
You're fine for DO schools.

For MD, read my post on reinvention for pre-meds
Thank you!
I just went over your reinvention post, it was very informative. I do plan to do DIY post bacc if I won't make it in the cycle. But is it frown upon if I only take like 2-3 upper bio classes per semester while working? I can't really afford to do full time since cost is a concern.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That will be perfectly fine.
Hey sorry to disturb you, one more question. Is it okay to do the upper courses in community college? They offer night/weekend classes for anatomy, histology, cell bio that will be more convenient for me. Or it has to be from 4-year uni?