Consult-Liaison Textbook Recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b52bomber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will been soon moonlighting for consult-liaison. I would like to brush up on my skills and get some good textbooks (aside from UTD) on hand. Does anyone have recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Psychiatric Care of the Medical Patient by Barry Fogel is the best C/L book (much better than the MGH handbook). The APA's Textbook of C/L Psychiatry is also good. There are some good chapters in the MGH book (such as the chapter on difficult patients), but it's too MGH centric.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for all your recommendations. It is at this point I realize just how expensive these books can be.

Furthermore, can anyone recommend any Emergency Psychiatry textbooks?

Last edited:
Thank you for all your recommendations. It is at this point I realize just how expensive these books can be.

Furthermore, can anyone recommend any Emergency Psychiatry textbooks?

Here is my rank order in what is most recommended to least:

For me, the one that is easiest to read and most practical is the Handbook of Emergency Psychiatry by Khouzam, Tan, and Gill. Each chapter is concise, goes into specific topics of interest in emergency psychiatry that are more than just suicidality and violence (e.g., acutely anxious patients, seizure disorders, PTSD exacerbations, chronically somatizing patient, personality-disordered patients). The pictures are great and there are a ton of easy visuals such as tables and mnemonics.

Emergency Psychiatry by Chanmugam, Triplett, and Kelen is also a great book. A bit wordy but does a good job at talking about emergency assessments of specific disorders, great bedside tests (can print out right from the book) and medical rule-outs, and fantastic algorithms for management.

I think the Clinical Manual of Emergency Psychiatry by Riba and Ravindranath is also a great book, although not as good as the above two. For me, it's too wordy and although goes in depth into diagnostic formulation, is weak on clinical management, and even more weak in psychopharmacology. It does go into specifics about very practical topics such as disposition options and resources for that, getting patients from the clinic to the ED, supervision of trainees/medical students.

The Big Book of Emergency Department Psychiatry by Balan, Murrell, and Lentz is pretty comprehensive and harder to digest than the others. Has chapters on Medical Toxicology and Correctional emergency psychiatry that the other books lack. Has a section on quality improvement and the operational aspect of this clinical setting which is hugely important in emergency psychiatry and something most the other books lack.

Emergency Psychiatry by Michael Allen is too basic and offers less than the other books above in terms of both assessment and management. The main parts of this book are how to manage suicidality and agitation/aggression, which all the other books also do a good job explaining. However, it does little to help understand other important topics in emergency psychiatry that the other books do as it lacks discussion on drug intoxication, psychotic patient, anxious patients, personality disordered ones, etc. Would be a good intro book.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Psychiatric Care of the Medical Patient by Barry Fogel is the best C/L book (much better than the MGH handbook). The APA's Textbook of C/L Psychiatry is also good. There are some good chapters in the MGH book (such as the chapter on difficult patients), but it's too MGH centric.

I received this today and had planned to take it on vacation but didn't anticipate it would be a legit 10lb book. Needless to say it won't be flying across the country with me but I do look forward to reading it on the beach I can drive to, lol.

I received this today and had planned to take it on vacation but didn't anticipate it would be a legit 10lb book. Needless to say it won't be flying across the country with me but I do look forward to reading it on the beach I can drive to, lol.

I just got Kaplan and Sadock with the leftovers from my educational fund. Apparently it came in the mail today and the package weighed 24 lbs...

Reactions: 1 user