Consulting/HPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jh2723

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about going into health strategy/management consulting after completing an MPH in health management? Would going to Columbia (i.e., in NYC) increase my chances of finding such a position?

Or, do firms not hire unless you have an MPH/MBA?
If they do hire, what sorts of firms are looking for MPH grads?

Thanks everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is an old post but I'm wondering this as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is anecdotal, but I have done a fair amount of LinkedIn creeping and found that the majority of people who listed their position as consultant or analyst (often the first step of becoming a consultant) have an MHA. There are a few with MPH and MS, and some do have the MPH/MBA.

See if you can find career day information for the schools you're looking at and see which companies come to campus to recruit. I found this to be helpful also in determining which career paths are open to people in public health in general.

Reactions: 1 user
At most MPH programs I visited, the 'health policy' person on the student panel usually talked about their or their peers' experiences interning or working with a consulting firm. This is obviously more anecdata and further biased by the fact that the students on such panels are usually the ones going above and beyond in their program, not regular students. I think that @desNuages's assertion that it's usually a position for MHA grads is correct, but it's possible for MPH students who are motivated to enter consulting and start building their networks early to enter the field. Choosing a location like NYC or a school that also has a strong MHA program might help with networking.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know anything about going into health strategy/management consulting after completing an MPH in health management? Would going to Columbia (i.e., in NYC) increase my chances of finding such a position?

Or, do firms not hire unless you have an MPH/MBA?
If they do hire, what sorts of firms are looking for MPH grads?

Thanks everyone! :)

Do not do an MHA if you want to go into consulting, be it healthcare consulting, IT consulting, financial consulting, global management consulting, etc. I have worked for a health policy consulting firm for the last four years (and currently getting MPH at JHU), and most of the masters students we hire have MPH's or MPP's. I don't know a single colleague with an MHA. It really depends if you want to do niche/boutique consulting or generalist consulting. Either way, getting into operations/government consulting (Deloitte, PWC, KPMG, EY, RTI, LMI, Mathematica, Abt Associates, Huron, Health Advances, etc) is much easier with a broad degree like the MPH/MPP. it is very difficult (near impossible) to get into strategy/private sector consulting (BCG, Bain, McKinsey, LEK, etc) out of any masters degree that IS NOT an MBA from a top 15 program. Just note that these private sector firms are leaders in healthcare consulting as well.

Reactions: 1 users