Quantcast

Consulting on the side

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSFdreamin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common/feasible is it to work as a consultant part time for a firm? I am interested in medical research, but am not sure if I want to run a lab. Instead, I was thinking of having a private practice and working through a university to conduct clinical/epi research. I think this would also give me strong credentials for consulting, which I think I'd really like. If I can manage the time (which is a very big IF, I understand), are firms interested in currently-practicing physicians? I imagine I'd want to get an MBA at some point before trying.

Thanks--

DrJosephKim

Advisor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are many different types of independent consulting opportunities for practicing physicians. You'll have to explore and find them yourself.

However, if you'd like to work for a large consulting firm, keep in mind that they have full-time physician consultants on staff and they don't generally rely on extra contract consultants.

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Instead, I was thinking of having a private practice and working through a university to conduct clinical/epi research. -

A lot of universities are getting rid of this option. The univ of MS med center recently got rid of the last of its part-time faculty. Even faculty who basically volunteered 1/2 day (one clinic ) a month for a nominal fee were gotten rid of. Universities want total control over the faculty.

rysa4

Reaction score
How common/feasible is it to work as a consultant part time for a firm? I am interested in medical research, but am not sure if I want to run a lab. Instead, I was thinking of having a private practice and working through a university to conduct clinical/epi research. I think this would also give me strong credentials for consulting, which I think I'd really like. If I can manage the time (which is a very big IF, I understand), are firms interested in currently-practicing physicians? I imagine I'd want to get an MBA at some point before trying.

Thanks--

If you would be employed by the private practice, as long as you ran your income through the practice plan and overhead, no one would sweat it. ( Assuming you did your fair share of call etc)

notinkansas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently left clinical practice behind to work as a consultant. It's hard to imagine how it could be done part time. I'm in the health care consulting area of one of the big 4 accounting firms. They do offer flexible and reduced hours work schedules- usually only after you've been there a while and are established. And those I know on these schedules still find it challenging to manage. Just like consulting isn't limited to 40 hours a week, "reduced hours" doesn't mean 20 hours a week.

skontroller

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the move. Depending upon what field you came from it must have been a tough call to make. It's hard to leave 300-400k for 150k + bonus but in the long term you're better off doing what you enjoy. There's also probably significant upside going into industry if you do well.