How to get a side hustle in a med-tech startup during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovecostco

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to get involved with med tech startups in residency?

I use to work as a data engineer / developer in finance and throughout med school I've be able to sit on a board of directors for a finance startup? However, because I'll likely be moving to the other side of the country for residency, I'll likely vacate this position.

I don't currently have any connections in the med tech field and I'm not sure how to best explore ways of getting involved; I'll be going into radiology if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Networking within the institution with which you're doing a residency may be a great way to start. Find out who the physicians are who are involved in startups. They'll likely be able to introduce you to others involved in startups. They may also be familiar with local startups that could use some sort of involvement from a physician, that perhaps they don't have the time for or don't have the personal interest.

I also have an article on my blog that talks about different ways and reasons that startups use doctors - Health and biotech startups are looking for doctors for these 6 roles | Look for Zebras Hopefully that is helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Networking within the institution with which you're doing a residency may be a great way to start. Find out who the physicians are who are involved in startups. They'll likely be able to introduce you to others involved in startups. They may also be familiar with local startups that could use some sort of involvement from a physician, that perhaps they don't have the time for or don't have the personal interest.

I also have an article on my blog that talks about different ways and reasons that startups use doctors - Health and biotech startups are looking for doctors for these 6 roles | Look for Zebras Hopefully that is helpful.
Is there anyway to get involved with a startup while in medical school? As an MD-PhD student I feel that I would have some time to get involved during the grad phase and would love to work on a side project and get involved with something on the ground floor

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyway to get involved with a startup while in medical school? As an MD-PhD student I feel that I would have some time to get involved during the grad phase and would love to work on a side project and get involved with something on the ground floor
Yes, I'd offer the same recommendations to a medical student as I would to a resident. Unless the involvement requires the actual practice of medicine, there's no reason a med student couldn't get involved in the same ways a resident could - assuming they have the necessary knowledge (or can learn).

How feasible is it to really get involved in a start up? I feel like they would consume a lot of time and med students or residents won't be able to get properly involved.