Contact lenses without prescription

Started by opto2be
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

opto2be

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've noticed some online retailers sell brand-name contact lenses without the need for a prescription. Is this legal? Is there something wrong with the contact lenses they're selling? I thought prescriptions are a requirement before contact lenses can be dispensed to consumers.
 
I've noticed some online retailers sell brand-name contact lenses without the need for a prescription. Is this legal? Is there something wrong with the contact lenses they're selling? I thought prescriptions are a requirement before contact lenses can be dispensed to consumers.
It's illegal but the authorities don't really care and optometrists seem powerless to do anything about it.