Contacting admissions for decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waynerooney1994

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need help. Interviewed at a school first week of October. They said (and portal reinforces this) that I should expect to hear back in 6 - 8 weeks. I still haven't heard back and people who have interviewed after me have received a decision. Should I contact admissions or should I just wait it out? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I need help. Interviewed at a school first week of October. They said (and portal reinforces this) that I should expect to hear back in 6 - 8 weeks. I still haven't heard back and people who have interviewed after me have received a decision. Should I contact admissions or should I just wait it out? Thanks.

Sure reach out once and see what they say. Just be polite and don't annoy them further. But understand that patience is important and reaching out will likely not help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a terrible idea. If anything, it'll move you from the "we're not sure yet" pile to the "we're sure and the answer is 'no'" one.
How is this so? It's been 10 weeks. Surely an AdCom wouldn't react that poorly to an honest inquisition when they themselves failed to reply in a timely matter. OP, wait until after the holiday and if still no answer, reach out.

How is this so? It's been 10 weeks. Surely an AdCom wouldn't react that poorly to an honest inquisition when they themselves failed to reply in a timely matter. OP, wait until after the holiday and if still no answer, reach out.
What do you think will happen? "We'll convene the admissions committee right here, right now to make a decision"? The OP would be better served to reach out with an update or a message reaffirming interest than to call asking for a decision.

Reactions: 4 users
I ended up emailing them saying I am still interested and if there are any updates to the status of my application. They responded within the hour thanking me for my email and telling me that my app is in for final review and I should hear back very soon. Also wished me happy holidays. Seems like it didn't hurt.

Reactions: 2 users
I ended up emailing them saying I am still interested and if there are any updates to the status of my application. They responded within the hour thanking me for my email and telling me that my app is in for final review and I should hear back very soon. Also wished me happy holidays. Seems like it didn't hurt.
Seems like it didn't help, either. They very politely declined to give you an update.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
They told him the status of his app.. is that not an update?
It was a deflection. Obviously his app was in "final review" -- what else could you possibly call the period between interview and a decision? They very politely provided him with nothing new at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
reading between the lines, I think the OP was more worried about them "losing/forgetting his app" in the mix, something which is probably impossible, and hence evident to people on adcoms, but which is nevertheless highly worrying to us neurotic premeds.

Reactions: 3 users
reading between the lines, I think the OP was more worried about them "losing/forgetting his app" in the mix, something which is probably impossible, and hence evident to people on adcoms, but which is nevertheless highly worrying to us neurotic premeds.

Yes. Obviously i didn’t really expect anything substantial I just wanted to hear from them. While it’s impossible for them to lose my app, it doesn’t help when people are hearing back in 4 weeks and I’m approaching 10 weeks without a decision, which is 2 weeks later than when they said we should hear back. I’m satisfied with the answer I received.

This went as expected — and that’s good. OP got in touch to ask a question, got a sense of the timeline he could expect, and went about his life. I would definitely consider that an update.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Obviously i didn’t really expect anything substantial I just wanted to hear from them. While it’s impossible for them to lose my app, it doesn’t help when people are hearing back in 4 weeks and I’m approaching 10 weeks without a decision, which is 2 weeks later than when they said we should hear back. I’m satisfied with the answer I received.
In the future, I recommend simply reaffirming your interest and leaving it at that. If your app somehow got overlooked, that'll bring it back to their attention in a much more subtle way than actually asking for an update. You want to appear interested without looking neurotic. Subtlety and understatement are your tools for achieving that.

That sounds like a terrible idea. If anything, it'll move you from the "we're not sure yet" pile to the "we're sure and the answer is 'no'" one.
It was a deflection. Obviously his app was in "final review" -- what else could you possibly call the period between interview and a decision? They very politely provided him with nothing new at all.
No, it was not at all obvious. His app could have gotten stuck somewhere, an email could have been inadvertently not sent, many things could happen. There are irregularities. The adcom was weeks late getting back to him, and he was completely correct to call or email when the adcom missed its stated action deadline. Had he ignored the adcom's lapse, that could reasonably be interpreted as a clear sign of lackadaisical disinterest, and in any case it would have been negligent. It is easier to correct a mistake when it is discovered quickly, rather than letting take root and solidify while you chomp your fingernails in angst about disturbing the delicate genius of the adcom. FFS.

Honestly, I hate it when people act like the admissions committee is a papal conclave or kingsmoot that cannot be disturbed upon pain of death, or that so much as a politely whispered -- and legitimate under these circumstances -- question would trigger an act of abject pettiness where the adcom abandons its professional integrity and rejects the person for making a reasonable inquiry. I'm only dealing with basically one adcom in my cycle, but they are incredibly nice and happy to answer questions. So please, give me a break with this idea that a polite communication will countermand 4+ years of college grades, an MCAT score, and cause the adcom to disregard its professional duties.

In the future, I recommend simply reaffirming your interest and leaving it at that. If your app somehow got overlooked, that'll bring it back to their attention in a much more subtle way than actually asking for an update. You want to appear interested without looking neurotic. Subtlety and understatement are your tools for achieving that.
Yes, you should send them a communication that does not state your actual concern, but instead substitutes an artificial and generic statement (incredibly likely to be summarily disregarded BTW) so that you can honor the rigid nuances of the highly ritualized applicant-committee courtship dance. And this will help make sure you don't seem neurotic. Are you kidding me right now?

How about the OP sends a plainly worded, concise, direct and honest statement of his concern? It sounds like a two-line email. Would that be OK or would the adcom erupt in outrage and blackball the applicant? Please also remember, this was not an unprompted, anxiety-driven desire to be updated, it was a gentle nudge to the adcom that it had missed its own deadline. Your intricate protocols and elaborately ritualized and circuitous signaling pathways are what's neurotic, I can assure you. JFC.

Assuming this applicant emailed the general XCOM admissions email address, wouldn't it be just the general secretary or staff quickly looking up the answer and shooting him an email back? I didnt imagine they had a significant impact on the process to where an applicant should be worried about their perception of them on something like this. Would they be in a position to say something at an adcom meeting or make a note in the applicant's file?

I'm partly asking because I sent post-interview thank you notes to a school's med admission email a few weeks ago but I never got a confirmation response so I was thinking about calling to make sure they were received but at the same time I would hate to appear neurotic or worrying about something so small...

No, it was not at all obvious.
It's regrettable that you've chosen the path of self-deception.

Your vulgarity and blasphemy are both offensive and immature. Fortunately, the "ignore" function offers me a solution. Ready...ignore!

I would definitely consider that an update.
Agree to disagree, I suppose. I think it was more likely a canned response. But it's moot at this point.

Assuming this applicant emailed the general XCOM admissions email address, wouldn't it be just the general secretary or staff quickly looking up the answer and shooting him an email back? I didnt imagine they had a significant impact on the process to where an applicant should be worried about their perception of them on something like this. Would they be in a position to say something at an adcom meeting or make a note in the applicant's file?
Probably not. That's why I advised to reaffirm interest without asking for an update. If there's been a clerical error, such a message should help rectify it. If there hasn't been, then the applicant is already on the adcom's radar and asking for an update won't accomplish anything.

My comment about it possibly harming the applicant's chances had nothing to do with adcoms being fragile and volatile; rather, it was common sense. Let's consider two facts:
1) Barring an (extraordinarily unlikely) clerical goof, we can assume the OP is not at the top of this school's list. If they were, they'd have heard back already. I know this from experience: schools that waitlisted me took weeks -- sometimes months -- to update me, whereas my acceptance letter from the school I ultimately attended was dated less than a week after my interview. (I'm not saying all acceptances happen that quickly. I'm saying what happened to me indicates that the school was very, very interested -- I was a positive outlier to them, not a middle-of-the-road guy like at the schools that waitlisted me.)
2) Medical schools can pick and choose. They receive thousands of applications and have no trouble filling their lecture halls.

Now marry those two things together. The OP is not a clear outlier to the school in question in either a positive or a negative way -- obvious "accepts" and "rejects" hear back quickly. That means the OP is in the running with many other applicants who are similarly qualified. Think like a faculty member or adcom for a moment: if you had a sea of qualified applicants for a handful of seats, wouldn't you be likely to use small things to differentiate between them? In fact, that's what happens: if someone contacts them and seems neurotic, the school can say, "I have twenty other people that look exactly like this guy and aren't neurotic." It may seem petty, but schools are trying to decide between hundreds of excellent interviewees. In such circumstances, seemingly small details become magnified.

I'm partly asking because I sent post-interview thank you notes to a school's med admission email a few weeks ago but I never got a confirmation response so I was thinking about calling to make sure they were received but at the same time I would hate to appear neurotic or worrying about something so small...
It was both gracious and professional for you to send them. Don't follow up to see if they were received. You probably received no response because of the sheer amount of work and correspondence going through the admissions offices right now.

Last edited:
It's regrettable that you've chosen the path of self-deception.

Your vulgarity and blasphemy are both offensive and immature. Fortunately, the "ignore" function offers me a solution. Ready...ignore!
See, you have the kind of thin skin and tendency toward cranky autocracy that you wrongly project onto the admissions committees!

More generally, applicants do not need to be horrified to initiate legitimate, appropriate, business-like communications with the admissions offices. The ideas that (1) adcom professionals will pitch a hissy fit and round-file your app, or (2) you should lie to adcoms to seem more rational, both as suggested by HomeSkool, are just as ridiculous as they sound.

Last edited:
Probably not. That's why I advised to reaffirm interest without asking for an update. If there's been a clerical error, such a message should help rectify it. If there hasn't been, then the applicant is already on the adcom's radar and asking for an update won't accomplish anything.

My comment about it possibly harming the applicant's chances had nothing to do with adcoms being fragile and volatile; rather, it was common sense. Let's consider two facts:
1) Barring an (extraordinarily unlikely) clerical goof, we can assume the OP is not at the top of this school's list. If they were, they'd have heard back already. I know this from experience: schools that waitlisted me took weeks -- sometimes months -- to update me, whereas my acceptance letter from the school I ultimately attended was dated less than a week after my interview.
2) Medical schools can pick and choose. They receive thousands of applications and have no trouble filling their lecture halls.

Now marry those two things together. The OP is not a clear outlier to the school in question in either a positive or a negative way -- obvious "accepts" and "rejects" hear back quickly. That means the OP is in the running with many other applicants who are similarly qualified. Think like a faculty member or adcom for a moment: if you had a sea of qualified applicants for a handful of seats, wouldn't you be likely to use small things to differentiate between them? In fact, that's what happens: if someone contacts them and seems neurotic, the school can say, "I have twenty other people that look exactly like this guy and aren't neurotic." It may seem petty, but schools are trying to decide between hundreds of excellent interviewees. In such circumstances, seemingly small details become magnified.

It was both gracious and professional for you to send them. Don't follow up to see if they were received. You probably received no response because of the sheer amount of work and correspondence going through the admissions offices right now.

To follow up my colleague's wise words, schools may not merely get thousands of apps (mine gets 5-6000/cycle), some get tens of thousands. When you have this many people in the pool, and literally hundreds of them, if not more, are neurotic enough to constantly bombard your Admissions office with needy, desperate communications, what do you think the response is going to be? Getting back tot he OP, s/he interviewed at the school. Do you think that they're complete imbeciles to lose an application file? These things are all digital now....the only way they're going to get lost is if the school's mainframe blows up.

And speaking of neurotic, what are your thoughts on someone who contacts you to find out if you received their thank you notes???

Again, it's all about reducing risk, people.

When you have this many people in the pool, and literally hundreds of them, if not more, are neurotic enough to constantly bombard your Admissions office with needy, desperate communications, what do you think the response is going to be? Getting back tot he OP, s/he interviewed at the school.
Only getting back to this now after my last exams, but OP was given a time frame that was almost doubled by the time they contacted the school the first and only time. That's not neurotic by any sense. I think you've conflated OPs rather unique situation of being post-interview with the regular hopeless waiting many experience after submitting their secondaries.

What do you think will happen? "We'll convene the admissions committee right here, right now to make a decision"? The OP would be better served to reach out with an update or a message reaffirming interest than to call asking for a decision.
Yes, that's exactly what I assumed would happen because of course the most logical response would be the most absurd scenario you could think of. Also, nowhere did I say OP should ask them for a decision. I just said they should call for an update. You projected upon my post to make a point. And to boot, I think an update email is this case is wrong - 1) it leaves a paper trail rather than the admissions secretary just pulling up a file 2) it's the passive aggressive, backdoor approach that doesn't actually answer the question

As it turns out, he got a straight forward honest response without consequence.

Only getting back to this now after my last exams, but OP was given a time frame that was almost doubled by the time they contacted the school the first and only time. That's not neurotic by any sense. I think you've conflated OPs rather unique situation of being post-interview with the regular hopeless waiting many experience after submitting their secondaries.

Yes, that's exactly what I assumed would happen because of course the most logical response would be the most absurd scenario you could think of. Also, nowhere did I say OP should ask them for a decision. I just said they should call for an update. You projected upon my post to make a point. And to boot, I think an update email is this case is wrong - 1) it leaves a paper trail rather than the admissions secretary just pulling up a file 2) it's the passive aggressive, backdoor approach that doesn't actually answer the question

As it turns out, he got a straight forward honest response without consequence.
What color is the sky in your world?

Let me tell you what is happening on the other side of the curtain:

The admissions office is dealing with a dozen or more prima donnas who do interviews. Most of the interviewers are conscientious and prompt in writing their notes after the interview. And then there is that one.... This is the person who does interviews and writes them up within 12 weeks rather than within 12 hours as instructed. It is a huge headache for the staff and the dean of admissions but there is little one can do aside from not asking the person the following year, or scheduling them for very few dates.
Eventually the write-ups are done and eventually the decisions are made but the headache of getting what you need from a volunteer in a time-sensitive manner is real.

Last edited:

All I can say is that unless it was the Dean of Admissions him/herself who said that, then perhaps the person saying it shouldn't have said it.

It can also mean that the OP didn't rank very high and is somewhere much lower on the waitlist.

So please, give me a break with this idea that a polite communication will countermand 4+ years of college grades, an MCAT score, and cause the adcom to disregard its professional duties.

I don’t think you understand how the real world works... coming across as annoying or desperate can absolutely undermine years of work. The adcom has plenty of qualified applicants and they can throw a great app out and not skip a beat.

The irony coming from a BYU guy...

:rolleyes:

Every applicant should consider themselves rejected until they have that accept email in their Inbox.
Just like tinder! If they’re not in your messages, they probably swiped left on you.

I don’t think you understand how the real world works... coming across as annoying or desperate can absolutely undermine years of work. The adcom has plenty of qualified applicants and they can throw a great app out and not skip a beat.

:rolleyes:

I don't think a single "polite communication" would "com[e] across as annoying or desperate."

I don't think a single "polite communication" would "com[e] across as annoying or desperate."
And your experience in a medical school admissions office is exactly what?

I want to put a stake in the heart of this. Now. SDNers are strongly advised to leave well enough alone and be patient. Yes, it sucks that you sometimes have to wait until May to get a response out of med schools, nut I'll make it easier for you: Consider yourselves rejected until you have that accept email in your Inbox, and make your Plan Bs accordingly. That means improving your apps.

And your experience in a medical school admissions office is exactly what?

I want to put a stake in the heart of this. Now. SDNers are strongly advised to leave well enough alone and be patient. Yes, it sucks that you sometimes have to wait until May to get a response out of med schools, nut I'll make it easier for you: Consider yourselves rejected until you have that accept email in your Inbox, and make your Plan Bs accordingly. That means improving your apps.
giphy.gif

Hey guys,

No

PREMED : Psychotic Reactionary Event Manifestation Exclusionary Disorder

A disorder that is a psychotic reaction to the events around applying to medical schools that manifests itself in the exclusion of rational thought. Seemingly highly intelligent, high achieving students are most susceptible to this disorder. Loss of major rational thought and reactions to unsubstantiated beliefs, rumors, innuendos, and other irrational and illogical cognitive processes. A form of collective behavior.
*sigh* Could you please start an IV? I'll go get some Ativan.