Contacting Admissions Offices...

Started by PinkIvy08
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PinkIvy08

Lady Boss
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

So, I was talking to a friend recently who is already in medical school about any advice he had about the app process. He advised that I contact the admissions offices so that my namely would stick out a bit more than the other applicants. I have also heard in the past of URMs contacting the Diversity Offices at prospective schools and speaking to that director.

Does anyone, particularly current medical students or doctors, have any advice on this? Is it a good idea? Will I sound desperate/pretentious/like a brown noser?

What questions would I ask so that I didn't sound like I was wasting their time? Is there a certain time during the app cycle which is best to call (i.e. prior to secondary submission, prior to interview invite, after interview invite?)

Thanks for any input you can offer!
 
Hey everyone,

So, I was talking to a friend recently who is already in medical school about any advice he had about the app process. He advised that I contact the admissions offices so that my namely would stick out a bit more than the other applicants. I have also heard in the past of URMs contacting the Diversity Offices at prospective schools and speaking to that director.

Does anyone, particularly current medical students or doctors, have any advice on this? Is it a good idea? Will I sound desperate/pretentious/like a brown noser?

What questions would I ask so that I didn't sound like I was wasting their time? Is there a certain time during the app cycle which is best to call (i.e. prior to secondary submission, prior to interview invite, after interview invite?)

Thanks for any input you can offer!

The potential impact it can have on your application will of course depend on how admissions is run at particular schools...but if there is a time to speak with the director of diversity, I think it should be done at the interview. At my interviews, the other URMs(myself included on occasion) didnt seem interested in setting aside time to speak with people in the diversity offices, so I guess it can be an opportunity to leave an impression.