Contacting D.O.s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Re: the letter of recommendation from a D.O. - how did you guys approach them? Did you call their offices, write letters, contact AOA? I don't personally know any D.O.'s, so I am sort of starting from scratch. Any advice on how to best approach this situation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know how you feel. I started from scratch myself. The first thing I did was find the website for the state osteopathic association. From there, they should have a search engine of all the DOs within the area. I would find the ones who are close to you and then make phone calls asking them if it is ok to shadow. Shadow the DO for a little bit and show interest in osteopathic medicine. Then ask for a letter of rec. Hope this helps! Good luck!!

For a long time, I too had difficulty getting a hold of a DO in my city (reno). When I got a job in a hospital, I copied the names and #s of all the DOs on staff and began to call and leave messages with the MAs. There were a lot more docs in the roster than were in the yellow pages. I believe if you volunteer at a hospital you also have access to a physician roster...or you could just as the front/info. desk of the hospital to look at their copy. I still didn't get a hold of a DO or get a letter until the spring of my application year (last spring) and it worked out FINE:)

I tried two methods, both with success. First I went to one of the DO schools web-site and happened across alumni who were willing to take questions from students/others. I sent off an e-mail explaining my situtation, which resulted in shadowing time in the ED and a LOR. I also went up the road to a FP office and asked if the DO was available. The receptionist had me write a note which she delivered. I was told to come back the next day, and ended up talking to him for 20minutes. I'll be shadowing him either this or next week.

I don't think there really is any set way to approach a DO. It's certainly nerve racking, but it seems that most physicians are more than willing to meet with you. Good luck.