Contacting Internship sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumptyPsyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently went through the Phase II of the Match process. I had two interviews that went well, and thought the faculty members and I formed a good connection and so forth. I am wondering if it's okay to contact the TDs of those sites to ask them for some constructive feedback as to the reason others were ranked before me. What do you guys think about it? Is it appropriate? I just thought that it'll be good for me, although difficult, to hear their feedback.
I'd really appreciate those who have done this before to give me some pointers as to how to go about doing it.

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes.

I did that when I didn't match on my first go around. I found the feedback to be very helpful and also validating.

Thanks, therapist4chnge for the response. Do you mind elaborating on how you did it? I seem to have trouble phrasing it in a very non-desperate way. Also, was it difficult for you to hear it personally?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, therapist4chnge for the response. Do you mind elaborating on how you did it? I seem to have trouble phrasing it in a very non-desperate way. Also, was it difficult for you to hear it personally?

I was planning on contacting sites, I think it's a good way to show interest in case you reapply next year. I was planning on keeping it relatively brief, just something like, "I was disappointed to find that I did not match to your site. I was wondering if you'd be able to give me feedback on my application or interviewing skills, so I can be a more competitive applicant when I reapply next year."

I wouldn't take it personally, especially for phase two. A lot of sites only had one spot open, so you could have been amazing, but if you were their #2, you still wouldn't match.

Last edited:
I had a slightly different situation when I applied, but I thought it might be helpful to share. I ended up with very few interviews in spite of being a competitive internship applicant. My DCT and I were puzzled, so HE contacted the sites that didn't offer me interviews and asked if they would give him some feedback and he would compile it and pass it on to me . He suggested this approach so that the sites could feel free to be frank because he would protect their anonymity. We decided to inquire this after interview invites because we were sure that I would have to go through the clearinghouse (back in the day, I'm not sure how phase II works) and we wanted to know how to fix up my application.

Happy ending: I was able to match to one of my two interviews on match day. It turned out that the major issue with my application was that I applied to largely counseling centers and I had not previously worked in that setting. I didn't know that previous CC experience is a HUGE thing that you need to get those internships (DCT apparently did not either, as he approved my list of sites to apply to w/o commenting). I did my internship at a CMH, graduated and moved on with my life. :)

So, if I were you, I would talk to your DCT and get some guidance and maybe help from them.

Good luck,
Dr. E

As a TD, I think it is definitely reasonable (also brave) to call a site and ask for feedback, especially now that the selection frenzy is letting up and if you had felt they were encouraging in some way but then the outcome was not. It conveys your openness to learning and gives them an opportunity to emphasize strengths you have as well as where the fit wasn't good or some element didn't make the "grade" for selection, so they might even welcome being able to "soften" the blow if it was a tough decision. No one on either side of this process enjoys the effects of the imbalance. You can get useful feedback, even if it is uncomfortable. Not every site will be willing to respond, or fully honest if they do, but a good one will give you genuine feedback and who knows where that might lead?