What happens if you don’t reach 25% of your internship hours as direct client contact?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey all. Coming from an anxious intern, i have a site where I am not particularly close to 25% hours from a site being direct client contact hours, as opposed to support or supervision hours.

The state in which I am planning to be licensed, Washington, has the following criteria under thier definition of internship per statute. This is:

“(ii) Content of the internship program.
(A) The internship must be designed to provide a planned sequence of training experiences focusing on breadth and quality of training. Supervision and training related to ethics must be ongoing.
(B) At least twenty-five percent of the internship experience must be in direct client contact providing assessment and intervention services.”

This is making me nervous. I have agitated for more direct client contact opportunities but change has been slow. I’m assuming the state licensure board would not just call an internship invalid without this breakdown in direct hours, but realistically, what happens when a person does not achieve this ratio during an internship? Can that lead to problems with licensure?

If it helps:
-The site is accredited, and
-I do plan to do a postdoc

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

When I doubt about licensure, I think it’s good practice to reach out to that specific board and ask questions since they ultimately make licensure granting decisions.

I’m not familiar with WA specifically but it seems like postdoc hours might be able to fill in previous gaps? But this is a total guess that your board can clarify.

Internship​

Applicants must complete an internship as part of the doctoral degree program. The internship must include at least 1,500 hours of supervised experience and be completed within 24 months. The internship program must be accredited by the American Psychological Association; or be a member of the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers. If the program is not accredited by the APA or APPIC member, it must meet the requirements listed in WAC 246-924-056.

Post-doctoral supervise experience​

If 3,000 hours of supervised experience have not been completed at the end of the doctoral degree program, then up to 1,500 hours of supervised post-doctoral experience that meets all requirements in WAC 246-924-059 may be used to satisfy the 3,000 hours requirement. Post-doctoral supervised experience must be completed only if an applicant does not already have 3,000 hours of supervised experience.
Assuming you have a standard 2000ish hour 12 month full time internship, that would put you at needing ~500 direct hours. Or in other words, ~40 direct hours per month/~10 hours per week/~2 hours per day.

What were your numbers for Oct, Nov and Dec? Some internships can start slow but if you’re still well below 10 hours per week, you must have a lot of free time on your hands (in a bad way).

Reactions: 1 user
When I doubt about licensure, I think it’s good practice to reach out to that specific board and ask questions since they ultimately make licensure granting decisions.

I’m not familiar with WA specifically but it seems like postdoc hours might be able to fill in previous gaps? But this is a total guess that your board can clarify.

Assuming you have a standard 2000ish hour 12 month full time internship, that would put you at needing ~500 direct hours. Or in other words, ~40 direct hours per month/~10 hours per week/~2 hours per day.

What were your numbers for Oct, Nov and Dec? Some internships can start slow but if you’re still well below 10 hours per week, you must have a lot of free time on your hands (in a bad way).
Ahh that’s a good point, I didn’t know that I was able to reach out to the licensing board directly for questions. I’ve also reached out to my DCT to see about how that process might work as well.

So, my track at my site is primarily focused around evaluations, but there is often lag time between the evaluation for report writing, sometimes more so than is necessary. I am averaging about 7 to 8 hours of direct client contact per week, with a bit of a gap in July and August as the program got up and running. Many opportunities for direct client contact unfortunately have been referred to other interns on less evaluation-centric tracks which has unfortunately created a gap among interns and how they are doing in direct client hours. Requests for more therapy opportunities or opportunities for direct contact have been heard but are slow moving, which is difficult as administration handles the referral process for individual clients.

Members don't see this ad :)
7-8 face to face hours a week?!? That is ridiculous from the site. How are you not bored out of your mid. We did 20-25 hours a week as VA interns and were still somewhat bored. I would definitely report back to your doctoral program about this place so they know.

This needs to be addressed by administration, as there is little to no reason for this. Also, unless you are in a super saturated area, I am mystified as to how there is not a waiting list for the services. Are their supervisors that you feel you can bring these issues up to and see if they can rattle the cage higher up? This would be something that would threaten accreditation if it's a longer term, systemic issue.

Reactions: 3 users
You've taken the right steps by talking to your DCT. What did they say when you asked about whether you will have enough hours to meet the 25%?

Washington - Psychology License Application

All the questions are "Yes" and "No" so if you're DCT is agreeing to sign off on your hours, it should be fine. You're at an APA-accredited site, so I assume it should meet the minimal requirements. The application asks for a brochure or letter to document the requirements, which you'll be able to provide. Boards look at your application and what your supervisors are signing off on, and not specifically a break-down of your numbers.

I wouldn't reach out to the board just yet, I personally be worried about setting off red flags (my own paranoia, LOL). Depending on what type of site you can look at taking on some more intakes, on-call/triage, assessment, groups, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
You've taken the right steps by talking to your DCT. What did they say when you asked about whether you will have enough hours to meet the 25%?

Washington - Psychology License Application

All the questions are "Yes" and "No" so if you're DCT is agreeing to sign off on your hours, it should be fine. You're at an APA-accredited site, so I assume it should meet the minimal requirements. The application asks for a brochure or letter to document the requirements, which you'll be able to provide. Boards look at your application and what your supervisors are signing off on, and not specifically a break-down of your numbers.

I wouldn't reach out to the board just yet, I personally be worried about setting off red flags (my own paranoia, LOL). Depending on what type of site you can look at taking on some more intakes, on-call/triage, assessment, groups, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't assume, that could lead to the applicant perjuring themselves on the application. Especially as they know that they are not meeting specific requirements. I'd want the issue resolved, as there is still a good deal of time left so they do not have to put themselves in that situation.

Reactions: 2 users
Personally, I wouldn't assume, that could lead to the applicant perjuring themselves on the application. Especially as they know that they are not meeting specific requirements. I'd want the issue resolved, as there is still a good deal of time left so they do not have to put themselves in that situation.
Agreed. Not only is there time to correct things but more importantly, it will help the OP with their internship experience to get more clinical experience.

Talking to your DCT is a good first step since sometimes they can advocate for you in a different way.

I think it's harmless to talk to a board & I doubt anybody has the time to track hypothetical questions with actual applications in 1.5 years time. If you're super paranoid, maybe create a fake Gmail?

7-8 face to face hours a week?!? That is ridiculous from the site. How are you not bored out of your mid. We did 20-25 hours a week as VA interns and were still somewhat bored. I would definitely report back to your doctoral program about this place so they know.

This needs to be addressed by administration, as there is little to no reason for this. Also, unless you are in a super saturated area, I am mystified as to how there is not a waiting list for the services. Are their supervisors that you feel you can bring these issues up to and see if they can rattle the cage higher up? This would be something that would threaten accreditation if it's a longer term, systemic issue.
We are, to some extent. In an abundance of caution I am being vague, but i am at a generalist site with forensic positions, of which I am in one. So most of the focus is on brief assessments (on average, 2 hours, with many that have refused the evaluation and thus became purely non-face-to-face) that have detailed reports, and there is an abundance of didactics and other activities which, while valuable, do not count as face-to-face hours. Supervisors I trust have brought up issues but referrals have been slow going. Some of the reactions have made me feel like this may be more typical of those in forensic positions, but either way, it is concerning to me as i’m not working with that much information.

No word yet back from my DCT. I will send a message to the licensing board today and update this thread when I hear back from an authority source, just in case future interns turn this thread up on a search. I am going to do whatever I can to get those direct hours up, so that hopefully this becomes a moot issue, but there’s only so much within the control of the intern.

Thank you all! This is an odd problem but your perspectives have made it feel much less like the death knell of my doctorate.

This is definitely something your DCT, and potentially rotation supervisor(s), should be actively monitoring. If an intern is short a few months into internship, I'm not terribly worried, but I am trying to problem-solve ways to get them caught up without over-burdening them (assuming the reason for the low hours in on the site's side and not the intern's). If the intern only has a couple months left, I'm more worried and am working with their rotation supervisor(s) to get a solid course of action in place.

A lot can also depend on the rotation. I've seen rotations where it's not unheard of to only end up with 7-8 direct contact hours per week for multiple weeks due to a variety of factors. But those interns also often end up with other more contact-heavy rotations (e.g., 20 direct contact hours/week) to make up for it.

I was in a similar boat on internship. It took some special circumstances, but nothing crazy. 0.5 day didactics, 0.5 days research, 1.5 days secondary rotation involving treatment dissemination & implementation (so technically no client hours). Remaining 2.5 days were outpatient substance use treatment with a forensic population. Exceedingly high no-show rate, very difficult to maintain a caseload because of frequent re-arrest, etc. I didn't think to track my hours during that time, but I'm sure when you factor in ramp-up/ramp-down time, holidays, PTO, etc. it was close or "could" have been under. I was told by the DCT that "25% of the internship experience" is about the internship as a whole and not individual experiences so as long as across the internship on average the interns have large amounts of F2F they don't worry about it. Given some rotations are inpatient medical and other "captive" populations, I'm sure the average was immensely higher. That is playing a good bit faster and looser with licensure laws (and accreditation standards) than I'd feel comfortable with in their shoes, but I guess not tracking my hours gives me plausible deniability in the event I ever piss someone off enough they want to dig through EHR records from 10 years ago and do the math?

This was a name-brand AMC. This was the tip of the iceberg and I could go on and on about how bad an experience it was - I learned almost nothing clinically and actually think my clinical skills receded during the year. That said, still got licensed, etc. and hasn't held me back at all. I consider the internship the most embarrassing line on my CV and it is absolutely the most prestigious affiliation I've had.

TLDR - I'd raise the issue and push to get there because it really shouldn't be that hard, but I also wouldn't assume you are forever doomed if you have 24% at graduation.

Reactions: 2 users
This happened to me on internship. APA accredited site, so was fine in WA state (and at least one other) was just as anxious as you afterward but wound up being totally fine. VirginiaIsForLovers is correct. But also not too late to get your hours up