Contacting programs for interviews, exposes failed PE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLR2303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are numerous threads on the subject of "should you contact residency programs to ask about status of application/request an interview/express interest" etc... I have already decided to contact my top 5 programs especially those that have not downloaded my most recent COMLEX scores. I think this has a large part to do with why I have not received many interviews and I need to increase that number as I am applying to a fairly competitive specialty (Gen Surg).
Here is where my trouble lies-- while I did fine on COMLEX I and II CE, I failed my PE and have not yet retaken it. I am hesitant to contact programs to update my application when I will simultaneously be outting my failure to them.
HOWEVER, I realize that I will not get my new PE score for 3 months (I retake in 1 month, scores take 8 weeks to return) and therefore it will be too late to wait until I have all 3 passes to contact them for an interview anyway.
Suggestions on how to approach this phone call? Or just tell them to please download the newest version and let them decide if a failed PE is a deal breaker or not?
So far I have had 1 interview and they did not have my newest application, so when prompted about my Level 2 scores I was honest about it, and they seemed satisfied with my explanation. I know I will have to address it at some point, I am just worried about whether I should be bringing it to their attention or not in the hopes of gaining more interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Was your comlex 1 good? I assume if they care about level 2 they will download it. Programs getting a level 2 similar to level 1 +failed PE doesn't seem like an improvement to me. No reason you can't contact and express interest though. I just sent a few of those and snagged an interview out of it.

COMLEX 1 and 2 scores were pretty average, but honestly I know classmates with much lower scores getting interviews. I feel like I must look like **** on paper, but the responses I get in interviews/auditions are all really positive, which leads me to think it's really the failure that's in the way. I did contact a few programs but no bites out of it. Did you call or email?