Contacting programs that you are super interested in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSoxSuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

What do you guys think about sending a short email to the program (IM and FM) and just make a case for yourself without going overboard. I was thinking about looking up all the programs that i applied to and doing a quick search about them. Goal is to see what they are all about and seeing how i fit with that program based on my strengths and weakness and sending that via e-mail to them in a short (5-7 sentence e-mail). I guess i am just trying to be proactive rather than sitting there and refreshing ERAS after 5 seconds.

I know some programs mention on their site to not call or e-mail about anything. So obviously searching that before hand would be important.

1) Would you guys rather call or email? (especially, if your stats are low)
2) e-mail the coordinator or the program director?
3) What if you are in the area and stopped by quickly to introduce yourself just for like few minutes?
4) What kind of tone would you suggest to use via e-mail?

Perhaps something like this:

Dear Dr............
I understand you are extremely busy but i am extremely interested in your program because of this this and this. I believe your program and I are a good fit because of this this and this. So if you can please consider my application, i would be grateful....

Something along these lines. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

1. This post, in and of itself is already overboard.
2. You should have done that research before applying.
3. A 5 sentence email is not short. A 5 word email is. If you can justify why you deserve an interview in 5 words, go for it.
4. Program staff are really busy right now. If they're too busy to respond to an email or phone call, how do you think they're going to react to you just showing up?
5. If you're going to send an email, might as well just go balls out..."hey...you...yeah, you reading that app over there...go take a look at this app instead...it's the s**t...you've never seen anything like it...don't pretend like you have. Just review it and offer me the damn interview already."
...something like that.

3. A 5 sentence email is not short. A 5 word email is. If you can justify why you deserve an interview in 5 words, go for it.
4. Program staff are really busy right now. If they're too busy to respond to an email or phone call, how do you think they're going to react to you just showing up?
5. If you're going to send an email, might as well just go balls out..."hey...you...yeah, you reading that app over there...go take a look at this app instead...it's the s**t...you've never seen anything like it...don't pretend like you have. Just review it and offer me the damn interview already."
...something like that.
Well, i did search programs by using Frieda and then looking at their websites. I am just to do more. Thats all!

Members don't see this ad :)
...something like that.

This approach works but if you do it confidently and succinctly. If you write a 1 paragraph reason why you are a good fit, 1-2 examples that make you unique and how the training at that program will make you achieve your goal then it "could" work. I did this for a program and I got an interview 1 week later. The interview selection process isn't perfect, PDs know this and grant some freedom. It will probably only work if you really are a good fit and are already a strong candidate.

Reactions: 1 users
This also might only make sense if you have a very particular reason for going there that you couldn't address in your PS...

"I know this is a busy time of year, and I wouldn't otherwise contact you directly, but I wanted to let you know, on a personal note, my elderly grandmother lives in the area and it would mean the world to me to match to this program. I am a fit for x,y,z reasons, and for x,y,z reasons I would love to go this program personal reasons aside. If I were offered an interview, I would be very grateful, and I would rank this program #1. Thank you for your consideration."

Or some other compelling reason where it makes sense you're going outside of ERAS.

Otherwise, I hope you did a good job picking a cadre of programs and applied broadly and with safeties, because otherwise all you can do is hope the ERAS program is going to get it done. You were supposed to do that so you wouldn't need to resort to inappropriate inbox begging.

If there were programs you were really serious about, you would have written a PS just for them outlining some of these special and specific reasons you're dying for an interview. Pointing out having done a rotation at the instiution, etc.

I seriously do not get why applicants think they are special snowflakes and that filling PC and PD's email inboxes with insubstantial begging is going to ingratiate them to a program. Having an attending or PD or an actual doc or alumni on your side and contacting the program is likely less offensive for various reasons.

For those of you that believe in sending interest emails (I understand some of you do not, feel free to ignore this question): is it generally appropriate to send an interest email directly to the PD, even if it's not the email address listed in ERAS? ERAS gave me a general internal medicine program email, but the PD's email address was accessible through the institution's website.
Thanks in advance.

I emailed the program coordinator, and addressed the email to both PD and coordinator.

...something like that.

Your mileage may vary. I reached out to a program I was really interested in (granted it was much later in the interview season), got a late interview, and ended up matching there. OP, I think your head is in the right place, but I would give it a few months before reaching out. After that, definitely do so and you might get lucky!

I got my advisors, deans, and Chair to send out emails of support directly to program directors for a total of 7 programs that based on my scores, "should" have been within my reach, atleast historically. This was about a week ago(last Thursday), and I haven't heard back from a single one of those places.

Take that as you may, others might have better results.

For future applicants that might read this thread: I sent out several interest emails in mid-October and received interviews from about half of them. Granted, I can't be sure that my email influenced their decisions in all cases, but I did get two responses directly from PDs inviting me to interview (both top 20 programs). People have different opinions about this, but from my n=1, it is low risk and can be extremely helpful. My advice is don't be shy, and email early on (after the program has started inviting, but before all slots are filled).

Reactions: 3 users