Contacting programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive posted before I'm a USIMG with a 222 applying next week. I have honors in my core and sub-I, doing research now but nothing to put on application. Question is how is it viewed to contact a few programs I'm really interested before a interview or rejection comes. The programs I'm talking about are two or three community programs and 1 or 2 mid to low tier University programs. Just to let them know how interested in their program etc. my scores will probably get ,e through any filters at these programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive posted before I'm a USIMG with a 222 applying next week. I have honors in my core and sub-I, doing research now but nothing to put on application. Question is how is it viewed to contact a few programs I'm really interested before a interview or rejection comes. The programs I'm talking about are two or three community programs and 1 or 2 mid to low tier University programs. Just to let them know how interested in their program etc. my scores will probably get ,e through any filters at these programs.

to be perfectly honest, what is the point in doing so? it doesn't help. they usually just ignore these emails.

Do NOT contact programs until they contact you. it will do more harm than good

In business, aggressive behavior shows initiative, go-getter attitude. You are supposed to submit an application, then call, and call again. In academia it is considered rude and desperate. I've heard this a number of times.

Example 1: I am friends with the clerkship director and he told me that he got a call from Stanford because a medical student had contacted them. They were furious. He had to explain that he was from a business background (4 years before med school) and that is the way things were done. Now, my clerkship director and the PD at Stanford are friends, so he heard about it, gave the guy a second chance. But if they weren't friends. SKA-REWED.

Example 2: My current PD gives advice to medical students. He's a PD, remember. He says that looks desperate, like you are a weaker candidate. If it gets down to Decemeber, and you still haven't even heard, then what harm could it do. Don't do it until the end.