Contacting Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDAB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning my rotations in a couple of weeks. Residencies are on the forefront of my mind right now. I have made a list of those I am interested in, most of which have an emphasis in ambulatory care. Many of the websites have little blurbs about their current residents with contact information. Would it be appropriate/inappropriate to contact these residents regarding the residency program? I'd like to find out what they do on day-to-day, where they plan on going after the residency is up, etc.? Or should I just contact the pharmacist on charge of the program to let them know I'm interested. I'd like them to know I just didn't draw their name out of a hat when it comes time for applying and interviews.

If you think this would be appropriate, what might some other questions be to ask the resident?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It's appropriate to contact residents and the director.

I would ask questions that aren't answered well on the website - elective rotations, staffing requirements, mentorship, projects, etc

Any suggestions on what to ask? I really would like to know personal information, if they liked it, do they feel prepared, etc., but I feel this could be taken as inappropriate.

What should I say to the director? I want them to know I'm interested early on, which is why I'm contacting them in the first place. I don't necessarily have questions for the directors, just want to kind of touch base.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's fine to ask - do you like it, would you do it again, what would you do differently.

You can always send a copy of your CV to the director and let them know you are interested and will be in touch throughout the year.

It's fine to ask - do you like it, would you do it again, what would you do differently.

You can always send a copy of your CV to the director and let them know you are interested and will be in touch throughout the year.

thanks for the advice

Wait til Fall when the new residents are settled.

In all honesty, we get so many inquiries, we don't keep track. So many people say they are"very interested" and "will be applying." Blah, blah..... We start caring only once we get an actual application from the person.

I second that. It seems like we JUST finished recruiting for the 2009-10 class.

When I was looking for a residency, I e-mailed programs no more than 1-2 months before Midyear because I didn't want to get lost in the shuffle. Until then, I collected basic information from ashp.org, accp.com and program-specific websites and kept it all in a binder.

It's awesome that you're so driven, but I would wait at least until summer's over. Get some rotations under your belt, talk to residents you encounter on those rotations and develop some solid, focused questions to ask your programs of interest. You'll be amazed at what a few months of on-the-job learning can do for you.