Contacting Schools to Show Interest

Started by lovepixie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lovepixie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to show schools that I am interested by staying in contact. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to say in emails?

Thanks
 
I'm wondering about doing the same exact thing!! I figured that maybe they could put a name with a face once your application is reviewed.
 
if you live in the same state a visit to an open house would be better than an email. If you live out of state, an email can be fine but you have to be careful about what you say in them. These programs are getting insanely busy this time of year and some people might view them as more of a bother than anything. I would email with specific questions that you have about the program (this shows just as much interest), not just hey I'm X and I'm looking forward to meeting with you in an interview. Maybe someone has more experience with this, good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would just ask some questions that show genuine interest. Ask them questions you would ask them during an interview. Be careful not to irritate or annoy them. Ask them when their next open house is. A personal visit would be much more valuable.

Kevin
 
I would highly suggest trying your best to visit any school you are wanting to apply to. I did this at 7 different schools in 4 different states and none of which were in the state I lived in. I found this to be big for me as the professors or in some cases the administrator would be on the selection committee or the sole decider of who gets accepted and who does not. They were able to put an application with a face and not just some random numbers. The other good thing is you can see the facilities and talk to other students already in the programs and see if it would be a good fit for you as well. The school that became my top choice wasn't even in my top 5 prior to visiting all of the schools. In fact the school I ended up picking was the one I thought I would like the least and after I visited it was way better than anywhere else I went. As far as keeping in touch some of the schools they liked you emailing them every so often with questions because that meant to them you want to come to their school. I could see how that could get annoying to some people but generally I would probably only email the person that is the office administrator because that's there job to answer questions usually professors are really busy so they don't respond very fast or at all some times. I also would contact the people I had met because generally they would give me there card and tell me to call them if I had any questions so I did. I have a son who was needing some Physical therapy and not really done much with kids PT so I called the Pediatrics Professor I had meet when I visited UCF. We talked for a good bit about the therapy my child would go through and I felt like that was a good interaction with a professor that would have helped me get into their program. So stuff like that is why its good to meet some people and look at schools cause then it'll give you a reason to call them and for me it was valuable info. Hope that helps.
 
Is it possible to get an acceptance or interview offer after contacting the school over the phone? I figure if schools can give rejections over the phone, maybe they can give acceptances / interviews too?

Anyway I'm trying to contact schools I applied to.

I'm thankful for the one school that offered me an interview but I'd like to hear of more interview offers. Going in to that one interview knowing that I have other interviews would give me more confidence instead of feeling like that one school is my only hope. Hopefully I get more interviews and possibly acceptances in the the next couple of weeks.