Contacting Your #1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gifted Hands

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard now is the time we should be contacting our top programs and expressing "our love." I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on the best approach and what to include (or not include) in these letters.

Also, for peds, how important is a phone call to the PD? I'm in a bit of a situation where my home program and my #1 are direct competitors (same city) so I feel like asking my home program to make the call might impact my spot on their rank list. Is it worth still asking for the call?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure exactly what "the call" is-- but I wouldn't ask for it. A simple email to your top program stating that they are indeed your top program is good enough. The rank process works. Good luck.

Not sure exactly what "the call" is-- but I wouldn't ask for it. A simple email to your top program stating that they are indeed your top program is good enough. The rank process works. Good luck.

I believe "the call" is when the PD of your home program makes a call to the PD of your #1 and tells them something to that effect. Evidently, a number of PDs offer this to their students. My PD did not, but I've heard of PDs in other programs at my school doing it for classmates.