Content review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voirlesetoiles

Focus.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EK subject books
Kaplan review notes (PS, BS, VR)
Kaplan HighYield book

... I'm taking the MCAT July 24 and crunched for time. PS ranges 7-10, BS is steady at 8. I don't have much trouble with VR, but PS and BS concepts are what I need to study. Which of these, or which combination or these are best for efficiently cramming the info?

Members don't see this ad.

cram with EK. It is the shortest!

I'm a bit concerned with EK being so condensed though... did anyone who reviewed with EK find that they left out any material tested on the MCAT? Or has anyone reviewed solely with EK subject books and succeeded with just EK?

I'm a bit concerned with EK being so condensed though... did anyone who reviewed with EK find that they left out any material tested on the MCAT? Or has anyone reviewed solely with EK subject books and succeeded with just EK?
ur stressed for time anyways so ud want the condensed version. and its really not that condensed. I learned everything using pretty much ek only, using google whenever i was confused about something. u have 3 weeks. use ek, or just stick with kaplan and start reading. with those scores, if ur putting in less than 10 hours a day, ur not going to see much improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the replies. I'm willing to put in at least 10-12 hrs/day for MCAT. For the next few days, I'll finish up EK and use Kaplan when I have doubts. Should I take all 20 practice exams that I have access to? I've taken 3 of them so far...

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm willing to put in at least 10-12 hrs/day for MCAT. For the next few days, I'll finish up EK and use Kaplan when I have doubts. Should I take all 20 practice exams that I have access to? I've taken 3 of them so far...
ur talkin 20 exams in 20 days. ull burn out by number 4. I suggest taking an AAMC every 2 days, and in between exams reviewing the test (right and wrong) and reviewing subjects covered (again right and wrong).

I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I felt nervous about leaving out some practice exams and possibly missing that information... but what you guys are saying makes more sense, content needs to be my main focus.

Content won't get you a high score on the MCAT... it's the practice and reviewing of those practice questions and your answers, right or wrong, that will improve your test-taking skills... primarily the thinking component. And in the end, that's what matters, not reading your content review materials over and over again.

Content won't get you a high score on the MCAT... it's the practice and reviewing of those practice questions and your answers, right or wrong, that will improve your test-taking skills... primarily the thinking component. And in the end, that's what matters, not reading your content review materials over and over again.

That's a good point. I'm in a frustrating situation with limited time, but somehow I need to balance learning the content and applying myself simultaneously.

I'm going over the EK subject books and taking a practice exam on Friday. After that, I will probably do one practice exam every 1-2 days (skipping over writing). Then, I'll review those answers and brush up on content simultaneously.

I may have to disappear from civilization until the exam to get a decent score. It's easy to say "I'll study x number of hours" but studying for such long periods takes some serious effort. It's odd to see that my application process boils down to how I spend my time in the next 19 days... :scared:

I think what might be a good idea is to break up some of the extra exams you have and just use them as practice sections for a daily MCAT "work out." This close to the exam, I think practicing a little bit everyday will be useful (though, I do agree with above posters that a full length exam per day is a bit excessive.)

so this is a question for EVERYONE....I have in my hands Kaplan, TPR, AAMC, and GS exams.

I want to do as green pirate proposes and break up the exams (NOT AAMC) and take bits and pieces on the days I'm NOT taking a FL.

so which parts of which exams SHOULD I use? I know Kaplan has good PS...but what about verbal and BS?

so this is a question for EVERYONE....I have in my hands Kaplan, TPR, AAMC, and GS exams.

I want to do as green pirate proposes and break up the exams (NOT AAMC) and take bits and pieces on the days I'm NOT taking a FL.

so which parts of which exams SHOULD I use? I know Kaplan has good PS...but what about verbal and BS?
u got that kaplan thing backwards. PS is ridiculous and BS is pretty good. verbal is garbage. stick to ek verbal. tpr also has some decent verbal, but ek is the best in my opinion.

u got that kaplan thing backwards. PS is ridiculous and BS is pretty good. verbal is garbage. stick to ek verbal. tpr also has some decent verbal, but ek is the best in my opinion.
oh really? (regarding Kaplan PS is horrible)

I heard that because its more calculation intensive, it's actually MORE representative of the MCATs now a days...hmm I should reconsider my breakdown then...anyone else???

What about TPR sciences and GS? Or more info regarding Kaplan..time is running out (grabs hair)