Continuing education requirements for licensing in multiple states?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slippers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm considering getting licensed in multiple states. Can you apply the same continuing education hour credits to multiple states? Or do you have to do different continuing education hours for each state?

For example, let's say for the sake of argument that someone wants to be licensed in both Alaska (requires 30 CE hours every 2 years) and South Dakota (requires 12 CE hours every 2 years). Would this person be able to cover their requirements doing 30 CE hours total (submitting 12 of the hours to South Dakota, and then submitting the same 12 hours, plus 18 more hours to Alaska)?

Or would this person need to do 42 hours total to cover the CE requirements in both Alaska and South Dakota?

Members don't see this ad.

This reminds me of the time one of my coworkers was pregnant with twins and my other coworker said, "well at least we have 18 months before she goes out on maternity leave since it is twins".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
This reminds me of the time one of my coworkers was pregnant with twins and my other coworker said, "well at least we have 18 months before she goes out on maternity leave since it is twins".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
that means the octo mom was pregnant for like 6 years????

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as the CEs meet those state's requirements, you may use the same CEs for each state. I'm licensed in 3 states and have never been audited in any of them; all of them require 30 hours every 2 years, and at least 15 hours must be related to drug therapy. One of them also requires 2 hours on law and 2 hours on patient safety, and I can simply apply those to the other states as well.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as the CEs meet those state's requirements, you may use the same CEs for each state. I'm licensed in 3 states and have never been audited in any of them; all of them require 30 hours every 2 years, and at least 15 hours must be related to drug therapy. One of them also requires 2 hours on law and 2 hours on patient safety, and I can simply apply those to the other states as well.
you are lucky - I have three states - all have three different renewal times, different hours (15/1 year, 30/2 years, 30/2 years), a mix of specific requirements (live vs med errors, etc) - luckily I get around 15-20 hours a year live CE from stuff at work, and add in one paid conference a year and I usually end up with 40 hours -

Licensed in 2 states and can use CE in both. I end up doing 15/yr because one state is 15/yr and the other is 30/2yrs...so it evens out. One state cares about the type of CE and has some specific requirements, where the other does not!

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely some interesting points on here, like the caveat that CE hours covering a specific state's law cannot be applied for CE credits in other states (which makes sense, but I didn't even realize some states required law CE!)

The different states' licences have been a bit confusing with their different fees and renewal times etc. etc. so thanks for the help everyone!

I'm super glad I won't be having to do multiples of all the CE hours!

My state doesn't specify if the law is state or Federal, only that it's done.

Long story made short: Because of the times my licenses come due, I simply do my CEs in odd-numbered years, and it streamlines the process.

Can't you do the CEs when the times overlap? Also, if a certain state has specific requirements like live CE, med errors, etc. those can still count for other states as long as they are not state specific ones like law CEs.
you can, but I always end up doing more than the minimum. We have live CE's a couple of times a month, so if I can make them, it all works out, but it is not like the paper CE's where you can determine when to submit them

Wait.. South Dakota only requires 12 hours of CE every two years? Hmmm.. do I want to move to South Dakota just to save a few hours of my life every other year...

Wait.. South Dakota only requires 12 hours of CE every two years? Hmmm.. do I want to move to South Dakota just to save a few hours of my life every other year...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: