continuing education . . .

jen414

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I figure everyone here gives good advice so I thought I'd post my question here. My fiance just started his first year of med school, and we will be getting married between his second and third years of schooling. Eventually I would like to pursue a master's degree. Now, knowing the time constraints on his end, does anyone know when would be the best time for me to pursue this venture; meaning when he is still in school or during his residency years. I will most likely do my schooling part-time as I will be working full-time as well. Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Third year of med school and first year (internship) of residency are the most demanding so if you are thinking of going part time (thus I assume it may take a couple years to get your masters) you may want to take your heavier course load during those years! The 4th year of med school is the best, thus plan to take a light course load that year and spend some time with your husband. Good luck with school and congrats on your engagement. :)

Lots of views but few posts... I'll step into the breach...
From my perspective of "youthful middle-age" I'd have to say don't worry about it. Start school ASAP if you can. The challenge of med school is NOTHING compared to the challenge of parenthood. There are idiots (like me and Mrs. Machiavelli) who are doing both.

Much depends on what you are planning to study, and where. Can you finish before your hubbie is choosing a residency? Does he plan on trying to stay local? Much more depends on time/location/parenthood. Synch your career to that and let your husband worry about med school.

Good luck!
Nick

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree start it now! I think idealy you want to try and be finished when he gets done, so that you have the freedom to move. Who knows where he could be doing his residency. You are going to have to be the who is flexible and it would not fun to have to transfer, loose hours, almost start over...

Nic_machiavelli is right about the kid thing... Things happen... It will be alot simpler for the both of you to be able to get the degrees under your belts 1st... but of course there is no perfect time to have kids so good luck :)

I tend to agree with the other posts that say get it done asap. My Med-Student is in his 2nd year right now and I just started my Master's degree program. With the timing of my degree program I will be completed by his 2nd year of rotations (4th year). I figured out the timeline so that I would be completed by the time he moved on to his residency (who knows where we would be going). It is much easier on both of us with us being in school at the same time, it has caused many study dates but I have seen him more this year with us both being in school. :) Good luck in all you do!

:love: