Contract Non-Renwal due to FFD Testing (Desperate need for guidance)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In the end, what is fair or not doesn't matter. Your program wants you gone. I'm sorry they strung you along, unintentionally or not. Your best bet is going to be to reapply to a different program or find one that has a PGY-2 spot starting this July. Your mentor may be able to help with this because it doesn't seem like your PD will.

Members don't see this ad.

I skimmed through the posts and I was disturbed, and felt the need to comment. Your situation is what something all struggling or borderline struggling residents should be aware of IMO. I agree with the post above, if the program wants you gone, there is not much that can be done except find the best way out, end on relatively neutral terms, and move on.

You can try to find a PGY2 position. You can also get an MBA and work in admin (aka boss) in the future, or you can try to get a full medical license and work at an urgent care somewhere. The options are available and you have to be flexible. Make sure you do your research and be ready for plan C if plan A and B fail. Being where you at, a vulnerable position with a lot of uncertainties, you got to keep moving forward, establish good positive social support, and have multiple backup plans. Your career does not end here.

And please, do not let the FFD report make you think you have some sort of psychological issue that you need to see a neuropsychologist for. Residency is the issue. It is physically and mentally demanding; It is not a positive experience for a lot of people. Some people cope with it better than others. Chances are you are quite normal to get through medical school and into residency. Just from your post, I can see that you're a reasonable person. I would recommend reflecting on your past experience and see what you can do to improve, and be serious about it. Talk to a therapist if you need to but don't let these people make you feel like you got some underlying psychological problem.

Again, your career does not end here. So create some plans, execute them, and keep moving forward!

Reactions: 1 users
Question for everyone by a newbie like me. What is the right/best answer to this question?
This is the incident my program director used as an example of dishonesty and patient safety being affected because of it. When I showed my program director the text messages, on top of being told I was making excuses, he also looked at me blankly in the face and said "Are you telling me your attending is lying? Are you calling her a liar?" This incident is what made me just "put my head down and say yes sir" because there was never a right answer. It labeled me as dishonest and that's not taken lightly in medicine and it's hard to come back from that, even if it was a misunderstanding/something that could've easily been cleared up.
I would love to learn some rhetorical finess by the more experienced here.

Question for everyone by a newbie like me. What is the right/best answer to this question?

I would love to learn some rhetorical finess by the more experienced here.
I don't recall any details from this thread.

If you're in a position where presenting "evidence" gets the response "Are you calling X a liar?" you've already lost. There's no finessing it. They're basically telling you to shut up and listen and stop arguing, even if you are factually correct and the attending IS lying.

Like it's hard to even imagine a situation where you're the one in power and someone asks you "are you calling X a liar?"

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been stated. I did the last two years at a very malignant program. I was never in your shoes, but one of the residents was. I don't know what happened to that resident, he was no worse than most of the PGY-1s, a few PGY-1s were "superstars", but he was fine . The program where I was had a habit of picking on one resident. For my two years there (I I transferred because I thought I would get better education there) I was the picked on resident, but there was no talk of terminating me. But it was sheer hell. I wish they would let you finish this year, but it is what it is. A lot of psychiatry programs will likely be compassionate to your situation. I wish you the best of luck and I am so very sorry

Reactions: 1 user
I did not get a chance to read all the posts. Generally, you have a right to select your own FFD evaluator. Being evaluated by someone the PD knows could be a conflict of interest. Many of the neuropsychological reports I read in forensic practice (most done by non-forensic neuropsychologists) detail a battery of tests but provide little detail regarding the opinion and basis for that opinion.

I do have other points as well. I have had a colleague go through similar issues. Feel free to PM me.

I just so happened to open this website up again to get info about subspecialty boards and stumbled upon this thread. I can't believe that this was only 3-4 years ago, but since then I completed residency, and just started a fellowship last month. Didn't have a single problem in the new residency program and matched at my 2nd ranked fellowship program. My old program director (referenced in this saga) refused to communicate or even respond to my 2nd residency's PD when approached during the MATCH-- she shared with me how unprofessional it was for that to happen and how she did some investigation herself along with using the letters of recommendations I came out with from the first program to base her decision.

I don't remember if I had any other outlets at that time that truly understood what I was going through-- and I appreciate the thoughtfulness and insight everyone provided me with.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
I just so happened to open this website up again to get info about subspecialty boards and stumbled upon this thread. I can't believe that this was only 3-4 years ago, but since then I completed residency, and just started a fellowship last month. Didn't have a single problem in the new residency program and matched at my 2nd ranked fellowship program. My old program director (referenced in this saga) refused to communicate or even respond to my 2nd residency's PD when approached during the MATCH-- she shared with me how unprofessional it was for that to happen and how she did some investigation herself along with using the letters of recommendations I came out with from the first program to base her decision.

I don't remember if I had any other outlets at that time that truly understood what I was going through-- and I appreciate the thoughtfulness and insight everyone provided me with.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what happened. It's nice to see people come out of these issues intact and thriving.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I just so happened to open this website up again to get info about subspecialty boards and stumbled upon this thread. I can't believe that this was only 3-4 years ago, but since then I completed residency, and just started a fellowship last month.
Fantastic!! Thanks for coming back to share the outcome. Good for you.

Reactions: 2 users