Contract to hire job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makeawish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Situation: Currently working as full time (30~35hr/wk) in a big chain retail and desperately looking for another job

Would you take a 6 month contact-to-hire position (per the agent) opportunity at your dreamed company / role?? I am not sure if there’s ANY chance that they will really hire me at the end of contract. I am afraid becoming jobless after 6 months...

Members don't see this ad.

It is a specialty pharmacist position with “3 months contract with the possibility of brought on fulltime.” I have been looking for this position at this company for 5 years....
I am eager to jump in, but it is really hard that I know how horrible the job market is out there...

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you filling in for someone on leave or is the position open for another reason? That may give you insight into the possibility of it flipping to full time.

Yeah, the 'why' is the main thing. IF they need to cover an FMLA leave or something, that's a definite no. If they hope to get financing for the full-time position later, that's a high risk in current economy. If they just want to see if you can make it before they commit to you fully, then it all depends on how good you are... Also depends on whether they offer benefits (many good contractor positions offer full heath insurance/vacation/etc. package) and whether pay is higher than regular full-time to compensate for different tax structure and uncertainty.

Reactions: 1 user